FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 1st, 2023
NBC SPORTS PRESENTS 40TH RUNNING OF THE $6 MILLION BREEDERS’ CUP CLASSIC THIS SATURDAY AT 3:30 P.M. ET ON NBC AND PEACOCK
More Than 10 Hours of Live Coverage of 2023 Breeders’ Cup World Championships from Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., across NBC, USA Network and Peacock this Weekend
Live Coverage of the Richest Two Days in U.S. Horse Racing Begins This Friday at 4 p.m. ET on USA Network and Peacock & Saturday at 1:30 p.m. ET on USA Network and Peacock; Saturday Coverage on NBC and Peacock Begins at 3:30 p.m. ET
First Time All Breeders’ Cup World Championships Coverage Streams Live on Peacock
STAMFORD, Conn. – Nov. 1, 2023 – NBC Sports presents more than 10 hours of live coverage of the 40th Breeders’ Cup World Championships this weekend — the richest two days in horse racing in the United States — with a total of $31 million in prize money at stake in 14 races. Headlining the weekend’s coverage is the $6 million Longines Breeders’ Cup Classic this Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock live from Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif.
Highlighting Saturday’s star-studded Breeders’ Cup Classic field is:
- Arabian Knight (3-to-1 morning line odds): has won three of four career starts, including 2023 Pacific Classic (G1) on Sept. 2, and is trained by four-time Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Bob Baffert;
- Derma Sotogake (20-to-1): three-year old colt from Japan, finished sixth in this year’s Kentucky Derby and won 2023 UAE Derby (G2);
- Ushba Tesoro (4-to-1): six-year-old horse from Japan, has amassed more than $9.2 million in earnings in 30 career starts;
- White Abarrio (4-to-1): has three stake wins, including Grade 1 2023 Whitney and 2022 Florida Derby;
- Zandon (12-to-1): Trained by Chad Brown, finished third in 2022 Kentucky Derby and most recently won the Woodward (G2) on Oct. 1.
Live racing coverage of the 40th Breeders’ Cup World Championships begins this Friday featuring the Juveniles in action at 4 p.m. ET on USA Network and Peacock. Six-plus hours of live coverage on Saturday begins at 1:30 p.m. ET on USA Network and Peacock and continues on NBC and Peacock at 3:30 p.m. ET. This weekend marks the first time all 10+ hours of coverage will stream live on Peacock.
The Breeders’ Cup Classic has a post time of 6:40 p.m. ET. In addition to the Classic, the Breeders’ Cup Distaff (5:10 p.m. ET post time) and Breeders’ Cup Turf (5:50 p.m. ET post time) will be presented live Saturday on NBC and Peacock.
COMMENTATORS: Ahmed Fareed hosts coverage on Friday and Saturday alongside analyst and Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey, who owns 15 Breeders’ Cup wins; analyst Randy Moss; host and reporter Britney Eurton; reporters Kenny Rice and Nick Luck; handicappers Eddie Olczyk and Matt Bernier; insights analyst Steve Kornacki; and Donna Brothers, who will report on horseback. Larry Collmus will call all of the Breeders’ Cup races.
NBC Sports’ handicapping “Betting the Breeders’ Cup” series previewing each of the 14 World Championship races will be presented across NBC Sports digital platforms beginning on Thursday. Eurton, Luck, Olczyk, Bernier, and Kornacki will be featured in the digital series.
NBC Sports’ weekend presentation will also feature:
- NBC Sports’ Mike Tirico headlines Saturday’s opening tease on NBC and Peacock from SoFi Stadium, which was built on the original location of the Hollywood Park Racetrack — the site of the first Breeders’ Cup World Championships in 1984 (televised on NBC)
- A Tim Layden essay on the 40th running of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships
- A feature on jockey Frankie Dettori, who has won 14 Breeders’ Cup races and will ride Zandon in the Breeders’ Cup Classic this weekend
- Celebrities making their Breeders’ Cup Classic picks
- A pair of jockey cam systems with audio
- A megalodon camera to share live-action footage of the fashion and flavors surrounding the Breeders’ Cup World Championships
- An outrider camera capturing intimate moments with the winning jockey immediately following races
- A special gyro camera on a vehicle inside the rail on the backstretch, providing a live wide-angle perspective as the horses race with the San Gabriel Mountains as the backdrop
- An RF Super Slo Mo camera, used for the first time on NBC Sports’ horse racing coverage
- Live drone coverage
- Access to approximately 75 video sources, including cameras and feeds
NBC Sports’ coverage of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships is produced by Lindsay Schanzer and Billy Matthews, and directed by Kaare Numme. Executive producer and president, NBC Sports Production is Sam Flood.
|Fri., Nov. 3||Breeders’ Cup World Championships||USA Network, Peacock||4 p.m.|
|Sat., Nov. 4||Breeders’ Cup World Championships||USA Network, Peacock||1:30 p.m.|
|Breeders’ Cup Classic||NBC, Peacock||3:30 p.m.|
|Breeders’ Cup World Championships||Peacock||7 p.m.|
BREEDERS’ CUP COVERAGE ON NBCSPORTS.COM & THE NBC SPORTS APP
NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will stream live coverage to desktops, mobile, tablets, and connected TVs via authentication, giving consumers additional value to their subscription service, and making high-quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms. The full HD-quality video stream will come directly from NBC’s broadcasts. NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app are available on the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Windows Store, Roku Channel Store, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Samsung Smart TVs, Xbox, and Chromecast.
ABOUT BREEDERS’ CUP
Breeders’ Cup Limited administers the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Thoroughbred horse racing’s year-end Championships, as well as the Breeders’ Cup Challenge qualifying series, which provides automatic starting positions into the Championships races. The Breeders’ Cup is also a founding member of the Thoroughbred Safety Coalition, an organization composed of industry leaders committed to advancing safety measures in Thoroughbred racing and improving the well-being of equine and human athletes. Breeders’ Cup press releases appear on the Breeders’ Cup website, breederscup.com. You can also follow the Breeders’ Cup on social media.
NBC SPORTS AND HORSE RACING
NBC Sports is the exclusive home to many of the most important and prestigious events in horse racing, including the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Royal Ascot, and Pegasus World Cup Invitational Series.