FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, April 27th, 2023
GOLFPASS REACHES NEW HEIGHTS WITH GOLF’S RECENT PARTICIPATION BOOM, REACHING MILESTONE OF 2 MILLION USER-GENERATED GOLF COURSE REVIEWS
Popularity of Golf Has Accelerated Reviews Since 2019, Helping GolfPass Double the Review Count in Half the Time
Florida, California and Arizona Lead All U.S. States Receiving Golf Course Reviews
ORLANDO, Fla. (April 27, 2023) – NBC Sports Next’s GolfPass, golf’s most-comprehensive digital membership for all things golf, today received its 2 millionth user-generated golf course review – a golfer resource unmatched in the industry.
The milestone is testament to golf’s recent participation boom and the growing community of golfers choosing the convenience of booking their tee times online. The 2 million golf course reviews were written by 759,703 unique golfers, many of whom booked their tee times via the websites or mobile apps operated NBC Sports Next’s leading tee-time services, GolfNow and TeeOff. All reviews are displayed within the Travel tab on the GolfPass website.
“This is an amazing achievement, considering it took only three years to get our second million after taking six years to reach 1 million reviews,” said Justin Tupper, SVP, Content & Strategy, NBC Sports Next. “The ever-increasing strength of the GolfPass brand as a trusted resource for all things golf in what has become a very popular participation sport over the last several years has been impressive.”
To better inform its vast community of golfers and 11,000-plus golf course partners, GolfNow and TeeOff invite every golfer who books a round of golf via its websites or mobile apps to share feedback. Powered by GolfPass, the reviews help provide an accurate indication of a golf course’s current condition, layout and service. The reviews also are curated each year for GolfPass’ highly anticipated Golfers’ Choice lists, which showcase the best golf courses played by recreational golfers in multiple categories.
GolfPass worldwide membership has more than doubled since its launch in 2019. Video instructional series and original entertainment have been a hallmark of the on-demand benefits enjoyed by members, with total minutes streamed so far in 2023 up more than 70 percent year over year.
Golf added more than 1 million participants over the last three years, contributing to a record-breaking 40 million total U.S. participants in 2022. More than 510 million rounds were played in 2022, which ranks among the top-four years on record. GolfNow estimates the total share of public rounds booked online has grown more than 46 percent since the global pandemic.
GolfPass Golf Course Reviews Fun Facts:
- GolfPass’ 2 million reviews were written by 759,703 unique golfers. They have reviewed 17,550 courses from 116 countries, including all 50 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
- Florida is home to the most course reviews among the 50 U.S. states with 416,366; California is second with 244,786; and Arizona is third with 187,336
- For review counts, 2,714 courses have received 200+ reviews; 1,120 courses have received 500+ reviews; and 338 courses have received 1,000+ reviews
- Average course star rating is 3.98 out of 5 stars
- Largest number of reviews by one golfer is 984
- Golf courses receiving the largest number of reviews:
- The Golden Bear Club at Indigo Run – Hilton Head, S.C. (3,129)
- The Legacy Golf Club – Longwood, Fla. (3,062)
- Tatum Ridge Golf Links – Sarasota, Fla. (3,049)
- Old South Golf Club – Bluffton, S.C. (3,017)
- The Golf Club at Johnson Ranch – San Tan Valley, Ariz. (2,978)
- Bent Tree Country Club – Sarasota, Fla. (2,842)
- Scottsdale Silverado Golf Club – Scottsdale, Ariz. (2,839)
- Highlands Reserve Golf Club – Davenport, Fla. (2,834)
- Celebration Golf Club – Celebration, Fla. (2,793)
- Starfire Golf Club – Scottsdale, Ariz. (2,708)
GOLFPASS HELPS GOLFERS PLAY MORE AND BETTER GOLF: GolPass features a vast library of original video content available exclusively as part of a GolfPass membership, including original shows like The Conor Moore Show, On Tour/On Course, My Roots, My Daily Routine, and more. GolfPass also offers a vast instructional library featuring more than 4,500 video titles, including Ask Rory, The Golf Fix, with host Devan Bonebrake; Lessons with a Champion Golfer; and Build a Better Game – all hosted by top instructors like Martin Hall, Chris Como and Michael Bannon, as well as golf fitness expert Don Saladino. Developed in partnership between global golf superstar Rory McIlroy and NBC Sports Next – the innovation and technology division of NBC Sports – GolfPass is designed for today’s golfer and is the only digital golf membership that delivers exclusive content and comprehensive tee-time benefits designed to help every type of golfer – from beginner to expert – play more and better golf. A GolfPass membership is available in North America at GolfPass.com, in the U.K. and Republic of Ireland at GolfPass.co.uk, and in Australia at www.GolfPass.com.au. The GolfPass membership also is available via connected TV, iOS and Android apps.