FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, April 6th, 2023
MIKE TIRICO HOSTS NEW EPISODE OF CHASING GOLD: PARIS 2024 SUNDAY AT 2 P.M. ET ON NBC
Tim Layden Narrates Video Essay on Mikaela Shiffrin, the Winningest Alpine Skier of All Time
Episode Also Highlights Three-Time World Champion Speed Skater Jordan Stolz, the Ukrainian Aerials Ski Team, and More
Peacock Begins Streaming Chasing Gold: Paris 2024 on Monday
STAMFORD, Conn. – April 6, 2023 – Mike Tirico hosts a new installment of Chasing Gold: Paris 2024, NBC Sports’ monthly program that immerses viewers in the world of Olympic and Paralympic sports. This month’s episode premieres Sunday at 2 p.m. ET on NBC.
Mikaela Shiffrin leads the episode with a segment detailing her historic 2023 season, where she not only broke Ingemar Stenmark’s all-time record of 86 FIS World Cup victories (Shiffrin now has 88), but also clinched her fifth career Crystal Globe and earned a World Championship giant slalom gold medal in the process. The video essay is written and narrated by NBC Sports columnist Tim Layden.
This month’s episode features:
- Ukrainian Aerials Ski Team – The piece focuses on the remarkable journey of the Ukrainian Aerials Ski Team, who were displaced by the war in their country, forcing them to train in Park City, Utah, as they patiently awaited a safe return to their families and loved ones back home.
- Moms on a Mission – The segment focuses on new mothers who are performing at the highest levels in Olympic and Paralympic sports.
- Jordan Stolz – Chasing Gold profiles 18-year-old U.S. speed skater Jordan Stolz, documenting his smalltown roots growing up in Kewaskum, Wis., and being inspired by Apolo Ohno at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Stolz recently became the youngest man to win a speed skating world championship.
- Ezra Frech – A profile of 17-year-old U.S. Paralympian Ezra Frech, who placed fifth in the high jump and eighth in the long jump at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics. With a passionate advocacy for providing people with physical disabilities to become involved in competitive sport, Frech’s organization, Angel City Sports, aims to bridge the gap between Olympic and Paralympic competition.
- Competition Highlights – Chasing Gold will look back at some of the most memorable moments of the winter Olympic sports season, including Shiffrin’s record-breaking 87th career FIS World Cup victory in Sweden, Stolz’s win in the 1500m at the World Speed Skating Championships, and Madison Chock and Evan Bates’ gold medal-winning free dance at the 2023 World Figure Skating Championships.
One day following its showing on the NBC broadcast network, Chasing Gold: Paris 2024 will be available to watch on Peacock, with short- and long-form versions of the program also streaming across NBC Sports digital and social platforms.
The Games of the XXXIII Olympiad will take place in Paris, France, July 26-August 11, 2024, with the 17th Summer Paralympic Games set for Aug. 28-Sept. 8, 2024. Paris was awarded the Summer Games in 2017 at the same time Los Angeles was awarded the 2028 Games. Milan-Cortina, Italy, will host the Olympic Winter Games in 2026 with Brisbane, Australia, hosting the Summer Games in 2032. The host of the 2030 Winter Olympics has not yet been announced.