FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, November 8th, 2022
TELEMUNDO SURROUNDS FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR 2022™ WITH MOST AMBITIOUS COVERAGE & PRODUCTION EVER
More Than 2,000 Hours of Unprecedented Coverage Across Telemundo, Universo, Peacock, TelemundoDeportes.com and Telemundo Deportes’ app
Comprehensive Onsite Footprint with Most Extensive On-the-Ground Presence Ever Featuring In-Venue Commentary for All 64 Games and More Than 10 Positions Across Doha Including Four Sets
Most Digital World Cup Ever Streaming All 64 Matches Live on Peacock with Content Highlights and Experiences Across Digital Platforms
Robust Lineup of More Than 20 Advertisers Elevate FIFA World Cup™ Coverage Led by Presenting Sponsors Ford, T-Mobile and Coca-Cola, and Brand Partners Samsung, Volkswagen and Xfinity
Press Materials and Event Recording Available Here
MIAMI, Fla – November 8, 2022 – Telemundo, the exclusive Spanish-language home of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™, announced a series of updates to provide a complete overview of its unprecedented multiplatform programming offering and comprehensive production footprint as well as a preview to its robust slate of digital partnerships and advertising partners enhancing the coverage of the biggest sporting event in the world.
“We are proud to be the home of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™. This will be an extraordinary year for NBCU and Telemundo as we present the world’s biggest and greatest sporting event,” said Ray Warren, President, Telemundo Deportes. “Our team and the entire NBCU family are prepared to deliver deeper coverage, unique perspectives, unforgettable stories and more excitement than ever before.”
Coverage for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ will feature more than 2,000 hours across Telemundo, Universo, Peacock, TelemundoDeportes.com and Telemundo Deportes’ app. All 64 matches will be available live on Telemundo, Universo and Peacock with in-venue presence at all matches for the first time complemented by Telemundo’s most extensive on-the-ground reporting ever seen and the most complete team of soccer legends and experts.
Telemundo Deportes Presents Most Complete Coverage and Comprehensive Onsite Production Ever
Telemundo Deportes’ production will surround the fan with unprecedented coverage and its largest onsite presence ever. In addition to the more than 30 play-by-play voices, game analysts, soccer experts and correspondents who will be providing coverage on the ground, Telemundo Deportes will have more than 10 distinct positions across Doha, including four sets and additional picturesque positions.
The main presentation studio will be located at the center of the Souq Waqif Marketplace, featuring a dual view that captures the cultural and historic side of Qatar. A second set on the Corniche features Doha’s modern West Bay skyline as its backdrop.
The third location will be at Al Bidda Park in the middle of the FIFA fan festival, the waterfront fan destination featuring an extensive entertainment line-up of performances, cultural attractions and innovative fan experiences. To ensure a complete and immersive experience, the fourth position will be situated at the interior of the Souq Waqif offering a unique and picturesque view of heart of the marketplace – a backdrop exclusive to Telemundo.
Finally, in addition to having in-venue presence at all 64 games with commentary teams calling the matches from the stadiums, Telemundo Deportes will have a studio at Lusail Stadium and in-venue hosting platforms at select high-profile matches as well as a standup position at the IBC and a VAR room with dedicated referees reviewing each and every game.
The comprehensive onsite footprint will support the network’s all-day programming supported by a team of 650 employees across Qatar and U.S. Coverage will begin at 4 a.m. ET most days during Group Stage featuring pre- and post-match shows originating from Qatar for each of the 64 games and often run through midnight.
In addition to the line-up of ancillary programming below, Telemundo will deploy on-air talent from the network’s top news and entertainment shows to report live and onsite from Qatar, including the network’s morning show hoy Día, its award-winning daily news show Noticias and top magazine news show Al Rojo Vivo.
- Hoy en la Copa – Multiple Daily Editions – Telemundo and Universo: The live 30-minute daily preview and recap program, World Cup Today, is the network’s landmark FIFA World Cup show setting up the most important and exciting storylines of the event and around each match, including colorful content from the stadiums and training grounds as well as the fan festival. Telemundo Deportes’ Miguel Gurwitz, Ana Jurka, Carlota Vizmanos and Carlos Hermosillo will serve as hosts with the participation from all expert commentators.
- Debate Mundial – Daily Show, Times Vary – Telemundo and Universo: World Cup Debate is the network’s daily hourlong signature discussion and analysis program presented live from Qatar after the last match of the day, featuring entertaining and provocative discussions from a mix of diverse experts and personalities offering their unique perspective and tone for the talk. The show also showcases post-match interviews and press conferences as well as a look ahead at what’s coming up in the next day of competition.
- Zona Mixta: Edición Mundial – Daily, 12 a.m. ET – Telemundo: The leading late-night weekend sports entertainment show, offering the latest news and commentary, will present an extended one-hour special edition show during the FIFA World Cup 2022™. Experienced sports journalists and hosts Veronica Rodriguez and Daniela Lopez Guajardo will fill in for Ana Jurka and Karim Mendiburu and anchor the studio coverage featuring daily reviews of each game with an irreverent and entertaining tone that invites fans to enjoy the biggest competition in the planet through a different lens.
NBCUniversal and Telemundo Deliver Most Digital World Cup Ever
As previously announced, Peacock is the only direct-to-consumer streaming service in the United States to simulstream live coverage of all 64 matches. In addition to its live presentation of the matches, Peacock’s World Cup Hub will surround the FIFA World Cup 2022™ with daily shows featuring highlights and analysis plus on-demand full-match replays supplemented by an exclusive and free Copa Mundial 24/7 Virtual Channel produced by Tplus — Telemundo’s digital content brand.
Telemundo is prepared to deliver the most digital World Cup ever with ancillary digital initiatives and partnerships to ensure complete, multiplatform coverage and experiences beyond the games, including live short-form social media game highlights, live shows and interactive integrations across platforms. Fans can join the conversation to follow all things World Cup using #MundialTelemundo. The extensive digital offering for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ includes:
- YouTube will offer Spanish-language real-time video highlights available via the Google search engine, including pre-game, in-game, and post-game clips featuring best of, match highlights and major moments in the match, as well as game previews, winning probabilities, line-ups and news.
- Twitter will feature daily live content, original programming on Twitter live from the host city, live look-in to Peacock’s coverage and video highlights throughout each competition day.
- Facebook and Instagram will provide match highlights, social-first content live from Qatar featuring live content from the stadiums, exclusive coverage of trainings, team arrivals, warmups and press conferences.
- TikTok will immerse soccer and casual soccer fans into the event by offering an exclusive livestream from Qatar featuring fans, daily match highlights, as well as unique fan stories and behind the scenes content during the entire event.
- Interactive Bracket for the World Cup™ and Fantasy Content will give fans the opportunity to compete on TelemundoDeportes.com available on both desktop and mobile interfaces and allows users to participate in multiple game modes, whether it be playing against soccer fans or creating their own private league for family and friends.
- NBC Sports Predictor powered by PointsBet app (available in the App Store and Google Play Store) and at NBCSports.com/Predictor will launch free-to-play games consisting of contests that cover a range of predictions from head-to-head positional statistical matchups to the game result, and more.
In addition, all of Telemundo Deportes’ coverage, including every match, will stream live on TelemundoDeportes.com and Telemundo Deportes’ app, across desktops, mobile devices, tablets, and connected TVs exclusively for authenticated users.
NBCUniversal and Telemundo Reimagine Premium TV Advertising for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Coverage
NBCUniversal and Telemundo are heading into the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ coverage with a robust slate of advertising partners elevating the entire viewing experience for fans across the globe through 360-degree investments, commercial innovations, digital-first activations and so much more. The company is teaming up with three world leading brands as Presenting Sponsors including – Ford’s Pre-Game Show, T-Mobile‘s Half-Time Show and Coca-Cola‘s Post-Game Show.
With more than 20 new advertisers across Auto, Retail, QSR, Wireless categories and more, NBCUniversal and Telemundo are exceeding the company’s growth since the FIFA World Cup Russia™ 2018. Plus, NBCUniversal is reimagining premium TV advertising during coverage of the games with brand partners Samsung, Volkswagen, and Xfinity tapping into the company’s long-standing Content & Commercial Innovation success.
- With high-visibility placement around key World Cup matches, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 smartphone will be on full display in a custom commercial launch animation. As coverage rolls into a beautiful shot of Qatar, viewers will be met with an animated graphic experience as the Z Fold4 device opens to reveal a blend of relevant NBCUniversal and Samsung interface imagery, before the display seamlessly transitions into key commercial creative.
- Volkswagen is gearing up for one of the biggest global sporting events with custom content spots produced by the Creative Partnerships @ NBCU team that will air on key USA match dates across Telemundo platforms. Iconic, celebrated Telemundo Deportes stars will be featured in the seat of the all-electric Volkswagen ID. 4 SUV where they will take viewers on a journey through major cities across America, made possible using the latest virtual production technology. These moments will celebrate the true significance that fútbol represents including community, passion and joy – further fueling the love for the sport.
- Xfinity is bringing fútbol fans even closer to all the action taking place on-the-ground at the World Cup with an exclusive Xfinity-branded virtual studio powered by UNREAL technology. Twice a day in a fan-centric segment, Telemundo Deportes and Xfinity will connect fans in Qatar with those back at home; showcasing behind-the-scenes action, watch parties and all the other moments they cannot find anywhere else in this immersive studio environment.
In addition, a third of Peacock’s Tplus brand partners including – T-Mobile, Toyota and Verizon – will be sponsoring the platform’s World Cup coverage. Launched earlier this fall, Tplus is Peacock’s content brand designed to super serve the full spectrum of today’s U.S. Hispanics for years to come.
Additional information, news and press materials, and assets here.
About NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises:
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises leads the media industry in the production and distribution of Spanish-language content for U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world. The company serves the full spectrum of U.S. Hispanics through its national broadcast network, the cable network Universo, and digital platforms including the Telemundo app and streaming services, such as Peacock, among others. The Telemundo Network offers Spanish-language entertainment, news, and sports content reaching 93% of U.S. Hispanic TV households in 210 markets through 30 owned stations and 56 affiliate stations. Telemundo also owns an independent station serving Puerto Rico. Telemundo is the exclusive U.S. Spanish-language home of the world’s two most popular sporting events, the FIFA World Cup and the Olympic Games, as well as the Premier League and Mexican soccer team Chivas. The #1 producer of scripted Spanish-language content in the U.S., Telemundo Global Studios includes Telemundo Television Studios, Telemundo Streaming Studios, and Underground Producciones. Telemundo’s new Tplus content brand will launch on Peacock later this year, featuring programming developed for the full spectrum of Hispanics. NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises is a division of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.