FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, November 1st, 2022
FLIGHTLINE, EPICENTER AND KENTUCKY DERBY WINNER RICH STRIKE HEADLINE $6 MILLION BREEDERS’ CUP CLASSIC THIS SATURDAY AT 3:30 P.M. ET ON NBC AND PEACOCK
NBC Sports and Peacock Present Nine Hours of Live Coverage of the 2022 Breeders’ Cup World Championships from Keeneland Race Course in Lexington, Kentucky
Live Coverage of the Richest Two Days in Horse Racing Begins This Friday at 2 p.m. ET on USA Network & Saturday at 1 p.m. ET on USA Network; Saturday Coverage on NBC and Peacock Begins at 3:30 p.m. ET
STAMFORD, Conn. – Nov. 1, 2022 – NBC Sports and Peacock present nine hours of live coverage of the 2022 Breeders’ Cup World Championships this weekend — the richest two days in horse racing — with a total of $31 million in prize money at stake in 14 races. Headlining the weekend’s coverage is the $6 million Longines Breeders’ Cup Classic this Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock live from Keeneland Race Course in Lexington, Ky.
Highlighting Saturday’s star-studded Breeders’ Cup Classic field is:
- Flightline: undefeated in five starts by a combined margin of 62 ¾ lengths, including a 19 ¼ length victory in the Grade 1 Pacific Classic, his most recent race;
- Epicenter: runner-up in the first two legs of this year’s Triple Crown who won the Grade 1 Travers in his most recent race and has finished second-or-better in every race since his debut 10 starts ago;
- Rich Strike: this year’s 80-1 longshot Kentucky Derby winner who is trained by Eric Reed and ridden by jockey Sonny Leon;
- Taiba: three-year-old who is a two-time Grade 1 winner and is trained by four-time Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Bob Baffert;
- Life is Good: four-time Grade 1 winner who was victorious in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile.
Live racing coverage of the 39th Breeders’ Cup World Championships begins this Friday featuring the Juveniles in action at 2 p.m. ET on USA Network. Five hours of live coverage on Saturday begins at 1 p.m. ET on USA Network and continues on NBC and Peacock at 3:30 p.m. ET. The Breeders’ Cup Classic has a post time of 5:40 p.m. ET. In addition to the Classic, the Breeders’ Cup Distaff (3:55 p.m. ET post time) and Breeders’ Cup Turf (4:40 p.m. ET post time) will be presented live Saturday on NBC and Peacock.
COMMENTATORS: Ahmed Fareed hosts coverage on Friday and Saturday alongside analyst and Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey, who owns 15 Breeders’ Cup wins; analyst Randy Moss; reporters Britney Eurton, Kenny Rice, and Nick Luck; handicapper Matt Bernier; insights analyst Steve Kornacki; and Donna Brothers, who will report on horseback. Larry Collmus will call all of the Breeders’ Cup races.
NBC Sports’ handicapping “Betting the Breeders’ Cup” series previewing each of the 14 World Championship races will be presented across NBC Sports digital platforms beginning on Thursday. Eurton, Luck, Olczyk, Bernier, and Kornacki will be featured in the digital series.
NBC Sports’ weekend presentation will also feature:
- Breeders’ Cup “Contender Cam” footage. Each Breeders’ Cup horse will have a camera following them from the paddock out onto the track to allow viewers unique, one-of-a-kind access. Comprehensive coverage will be available to stream here
- A pair of jockey cam systems with audio
- A megalodon camera to share live-action footage of the fashion and flavors surrounding the Breeders’ Cup World Championships
- An outrider camera capturing intimate moments with the winning jockey immediately following races
- Backstretch cam on the Keeneland track
- An essay narrated by Tim Layden on the uniqueness surrounding Flightline and his relatively unheralded historic success throughout 2022
- A feature on Dirt Mile morning-line favorite Cody’s Wish and the story between human and horse connections
- Britney Eurton interviewing Lisa Lazarus, the CEO of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority
- Celebrities making their Breeders’ Cup Classic picks
- Access to approximately 75 video sources, including cameras and feeds
NBC Sports’ coverage of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships is produced by Lindsay Schanzer on Saturday, Billy Matthews on Friday, and directed by Kaare Numme. Executive producer and president, NBC Sports Production is Sam Flood.
|Fri., Nov. 4||Breeders’ Cup World Championships||USA Network||2 p.m.|
|Sat., Nov. 5||Breeders’ Cup World Championships||USA Network||1 p.m.|
|Breeders’ Cup Classic||NBC, Peacock||3:30 p.m.|
The Breeders’ Cup Classic is part of NBCUniversal’s “Big Event Weekend” featuring numerous high-profile events across NBC and Peacock this Saturday and Sunday (programming details below). For more on “Big Event Weekend,” click here.
|Sat., Nov. 5||Breeders’ Cup Classic||NBC, Peacock||3:30 p.m.|
|No. 5 Clemson vs. Notre Dame||NBC, Peacock||7:30 p.m.|
|Saturday Night Live||NBC, Peacock||11:30 p.m.|
|Sun., Nov. 6||NASCAR Cup Series Championship Race||NBC, Peacock||3 p.m.|
|Sunday Night Football: Titans vs. Chiefs||NBC, Peacock||8:20 p.m.|
BREEDERS’ CUP COVERAGE ON NBCSPORTS.COM & THE NBC SPORTS APP
NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will stream live coverage to desktops, mobile, tablets, and connected TVs via authentication, giving consumers additional value to their subscription service, and making high-quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms. The full HD-quality video stream will come directly from NBC’s broadcasts. NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app are available on the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Windows Store, Roku Channel Store, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Samsung Smart TVs, Xbox, and Chromecast.
ABOUT BREEDERS’ CUP
Breeders’ Cup Limited administers the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Thoroughbred horse racing’s year-end Championships, as well as the Breeders’ Cup Challenge qualifying series, which provides automatic starting positions into the Championships races. The Breeders’ Cup is also a founding member of the Thoroughbred Safety Coalition, an organization composed of industry leaders committed to advancing safety measures in Thoroughbred racing and improving the well-being of equine and human athletes. Breeders’ Cup press releases appear on the Breeders’ Cup website, breederscup.com. You can also follow the Breeders’ Cup on social media.
NBC SPORTS AND HORSE RACING
NBC Sports is the exclusive home to the most important and prestigious events in horse racing, including the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Royal Ascot, and Pegasus World Cup Invitational Series.