FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, September 14th, 2022
NBC SPORTS LAUNCHES MONTHLY OLYMPIC PROGRAM “CHASING GOLD: PARIS 2024” THIS SUNDAY ON NBC
Monthly Weekend Program Will Immerse Viewers In the World of Olympic and Paralympic Athletes on Road to Paris Games
Show Debuts This Sunday on NBC; Encores to Stream on Peacock and NBC Sports Digital Platforms
Inaugural Episode Features Mike Tirico Looking Ahead to Paris 2024, Maria Taylor’s Interview with Noah Lyles, Highlights of This Summer’s World Championships, and More
STAMFORD, CONN. – Sept. 14, 2022 – In advance of the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games, NBC Sports is creating a new monthly program – Chasing Gold: Paris 2024 — that will immerse viewers in the world of the Olympic and Paralympic athletes as they prepare for the next Summer Games. The first one-hour episode debuts this Sunday, Sept. 18, at 2:30 pm ET on NBC.
Chasing Gold: Paris 2024 will combine enhanced looks of captivating competition with powerful storytelling to showcase world-class athletes pursuing their Olympic and Paralympic dreams in the years and months before the Games take place. Hosted by NBC Sports commentators, including Mike Tirico and Maria Taylor, Chasing Gold: Paris 2024 will also spotlight the spectacle of the host city and engage in new ways of celebrating Olympic and Paralympic history.
“As we look ahead to Paris 2024 – which promises to be one of the most spectacular Games in recent memory – we want to connect viewers to these amazing athletes and their journeys on a year-round basis,” said Molly Solomon, Executive Producer, NBC Olympics and Paralympics. “The 2024 Games will not only feature the iconic backdrop of Paris and its venues set in some of the city’s most recognizable locations, but also stadiums filled once again with passionate fans from all over the world cheering on their heroes. Chasing Gold is one more way we are honoring our unwavering commitment to covering the athletes and stories of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.”
One day following its showing on the NBC broadcast network, Chasing Gold: Paris 2024 will be available to watch on Peacock, with short- and long-form versions of the program also streaming across NBC Sports digital and social platforms.
The first episode includes:
- Mike Tirico providing a preview of what’s in store for Paris 2024, including what is expected to be a stunning Opening Ceremony held along the Seine, the debut of breaking in the Olympic Games, and the surfing venue located 10,000 miles from the city in Tahiti. Watch a segment here;
- Maria Taylor interviewing reigning 200m world champion Noah Lyles about breaking Michael Johnson’s American record at the World Track & Field Championships earlier this year, with Johnson joining the interview as a surprise guest;
- Rowdy Gaines looking back at this summer’s World Swimming Championships, in which Team USA took home 45 medals, including Caeleb Dressel’s victory in the 50m butterfly;
- Highlights of 17-year-old Konnor McClain winning her first gymnastics title at the U.S. Championships this summer and Sydney McLaughlin’s 400m hurdles world record at the World Track & Field Championships;
- Summer action in Paralympic sports, including Massachusetts’ Leanne Smith winning seven golds at the World Para Swimming Championships and Oksana Masters leaving the world championships with two cycling gold medals less than six months after winning seven Paralympic medals in Beijing, which made her the most decorated U.S. Winter Paralympian of all time.
The Games of the XXXIII Olympiad will take place in Paris, France, July 26-August 11, 2024, with the 17th Summer Paralympic Games set for Aug. 28-Sept. 8, 2024. Paris was awarded the Summer Games in 2017 at the same time Los Angeles was awarded the 2028 Games. Milan-Cortina, Italy, will host the Olympic Winter Games in 2026 with Brisbane, Australia, hosting the Summer Games in 2032. The host of the 2030 Winter Olympics is expected to be announced in 2023.