FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, April 19th, 2021
PEACOCK’S COUNTDOWN TO TOKYO PROGRAMMING ADDS GYMNASTICS DOCUSERIES GOLDEN: THE JOURNEY OF USA’S ELITE GYMNASTS
- Partnering with UNINTERRUPTED and as part of its countdown to Tokyo programming, Peacock has ordered a six-episode docuseries following top American gymnasts—Olympic gold medalist Laurie Hernandez, Morgan Hurd, Sunisa Lee, Konnor McClain, and MyKayla Skinner—as they compete for the four coveted Team USA roster spots in the Olympic team competition. The series will follow these athletes, whose preparation for the Games was fundamentally altered by the pandemic, over a five-month period as they continue their grueling training regimens and fight for a chance to compete in the Tokyo Olympics.
- Each hour-long episode of Golden will center on the individual and intertwining journeys of Team USA hopefuls leading up to the Tokyo Olympics. Hernandez won gold as a member of the “Final Five” team and an individual silver on beam in Rio. Skinner served as an alternate on that team. Morgan Hurd, the 2017 world all-around champion; Sunisa Lee, a member of the team that won gold at the 2019 World Championships; and Konnor McClain, the 2019 U.S. Classic Junior All-Around Champion who became age-eligible for the Tokyo Olympics once the Games were postponed, will also star in the series.
- The series highlights major milestones throughout the journey, including National Team training camps, the U.S. Gymnastics Championships, and the U.S. Olympic Team Trials starting June 24. Each of the six episodes will feature one or two gymnasts in the cast while checking in on their fellow gymnasts.
- Three-time Olympian Dominique Dawes will serve as executive producer along with LeBron James, Maverick Carter, Jamal Henderson and Philip Byron from UNINTERRUPTED. Katy Murakami is showrunning the docuseries with Harrison Macks and JP Stiles, who will serve as directors and executive producers. Camille Maratchi is a Co-EP. The series is produced by UNINTERRUPTED, a division of The SpringHill Company, the global consumer and entertainment brand created to empower greatness in every individual builtby LeBron James and Maverick Carter. “When I look back, I remember the tremendous sacrifice it took me to achieve my own Olympic pursuits,” said Dawes. “Similarly, these gymnasts have and will continue to endure physical, emotional and mental hurdles that most cannot fathom. The millions of viewers who watch the Summer Games are accustomed to witnessing the short-lived glory of the podium without truly understanding the demands these young female athletes face.”
- Goldenwill be a part of Peacock’s robust countdown to Tokyo programming. More information regarding Peacock’s Olympic coverage will be provided closer to the start of the Games.