FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, March 8th, 2021
NBC SPORTS SURROUNDS THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP WITH MORE THAN 65 HOURS OF COVERAGE ON GOLF CHANNEL AND NBC
NBC Sports Presents 20+ Hours of Live Tournament Coverage from TPC Sawgrass, Featuring More Than 10 On-Site Commentators
Live From THE PLAYERS Provides Daily Coverage From TPC Sawgrass, Beginning Tonight at 7 p.m. ET on GOLF Channel; More Than 40 Hours of Total Live From Coverage this Week
Various Features Surrounding THE PLAYERS, Including A Look Back at Last Year’s Events, the Brentwood Four, and Gary Koch’s Famous ‘Better Than Most’ Call
STAMFORD, Conn. – March 8, 2021 – NBC Sports surrounds THE PLAYERS Championship with more than 65 hours of coverage across GOLF Channel and NBC this week from TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.
In total, NBC Sports will have nearly 30 commentators and analysts covering this year’s tournament. Live From THE PLAYERS will be on-site to provide more than 40 hours of coverage on GOLF Channel beginning tonight at 7 p.m. ET with nearly 20 commentators contributing throughout the week.
This year’s field at THE PLAYERS features last week’s Arnold Palmer Invitational winner Bryson DeChambeau, world No. 1 Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy, Justin Thomas, Jordan Spieth, and more.
This week on Live From, GOLF Channel will present a variety of in-depth features surrounding THE PLAYERS Championship:
- PGA TOUR Shutdown: A look back on the events that unfolded during last year’s THE PLAYERS Championship leading to the PGA TOUR’s decision to cancel the tournament and suspend the season at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, including interviews with PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan, Executive Director of THE PLAYERS Championship Jared Rice, and more.
- Brentwood Four: Depicts how four Black men fought to desegregate Brentwood Golf Course in Jacksonville and all public facilities throughout the city in the early 1960s.
- “Better Than Most”: A scientific breakdown of Tiger Woods’ iconic putt on the 17th hole at the 2001 THE PLAYERS Championship and the impact of NBC Sports’ Gary Koch’s famous call, featuring interviews with Koch, Dan Hicks and Jim ‘Bones’ Mackay.
- What Golf Did for Me: How the game of golf helped individuals cope with the COVID-19 pandemic in various ways.
Additionally, GolfChannel.com writer Ryan Lavner pens a piece on the events of last year’s tournament leading up to its cancelation.
THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP FROM TPC SAWGRASS
NBC/GOLF Channel Broadcast Team
- Host: Mike Tirico
- Play by Play: Dan Hicks / Terry Gannon
- Analyst: Paul Azinger / Nick Faldo
- Tower: Gary Koch / David Feherty / Justin Leonard
- On-Course: Roger Maltbie / Jim “Bones” Mackay / John Wood
- Interviews: Steve Sands
- Essays: Jimmy Roberts
How To Watch – Thursday, March 11 – Sunday, March 14 (all times ET)
- TV – NBC, GOLF Channel
- Streaming – NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app
Notable Players This Week
- Dustin Johnson
- Bryson DeChambeau
- Rory McIlroy
- Justin Thomas
- Jordan Spieth
- Patrick Reed
- Jon Rahm
- Xander Schauffele
- Collin Morikawa
- 40+ Hours of Live From THE PLAYERS this Week on GOLF Channel: Live From THE PLAYERS on GOLF Channel will provide wall-to-wall coverage beginning today-Wednesday and pre-and post-tournament coverage Thursday-Sunday. This week’s Live From includes Anna Whiteley, Shane Bacon, Damon Hack, George Savaricas, Cara Banks, Rich Lerner, Brandel Chamblee, Justin Leonard, Jaime Diaz, Todd Lewis, Billy Kratzert, David Duval, Arron Oberholser, Notah Begay, Mark Rolfing, Steve Burkowski, Ryan Lavner, and Rex Hoggard.
|Date||Live From THE PLAYERS|
|Tuesday||9 a.m.-5 p.m.; 7-9 p.m.|
|Wednesday||9 a.m.-5 p.m.; 7-9 p.m.|
|Thursday||9 a.m.-Noon; 6-8 p.m.|
|Friday||9 a.m.-Noon; 6-8 p.m.|
|Saturday||9 a.m.-1 p.m.; 6-8 p.m.|
|Sunday||9 a.m.-1 p.m.; 6-8 p.m.|