FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, March 5th, 2021
“HOCKEY DAY IN AMERICA” CELEBRATED THIS SUNDAY ACROSS NBC SPORTS WITH NHL QUADRUPLEHEADER ON NBC AND NBCSN
Hockey Day in America, presented by Discover® Examines Hockey’s Impact and Influence Across U.S. Through Feature Stories and Profiles
HDIA Begins with Sabres-Islanders at 12 p.m. ET on NBC, Followed by Lightning-Blackhawks at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN
Coverage Continues with Devils-Bruins at 5 p.m. ET and Rangers-Penguins at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN
STAMFORD, Conn. – March 5, 2021 – NBC Sports celebrates Hockey Day in America, presented by Discover® this Sunday with an NHL quadrupleheader on NBC and NBCSN, as well as a collection of stories and features which explore hockey’s impact and influence across the U.S. The day is a highlight of NBC Sports’ NHL coverage in March, which includes 30 games over 30 nights.
Among the stories and discussions that will take place throughout the day, include:
- Spotlight on a Central New Yorker, who renovated his backyard hockey rink into a ‘rink of dreams’ during the pandemic;
- Discussion on the importance of diversity and inclusion in hockey with Jack Eichel and a local Buffalo artist who designed a ‘Breaking Barriers’ Sabres logo in honor of Val James, the first Black American to play in the NHL.
- Commemorating the anniversary of last year’s inaugural all-women NHL broadcast on NBCSN, NBC Sports and On Her Turf gathered the on-air commentary team of Kate Scott, J. Mleczko and Kendall Coyne Schofield along with producers Rene Hatlelid and Kaitlin Urka and director Lisa Seltzer for a virtual roundtable to discuss the impact of the broadcast;
- Career retrospective on Patrick Kane, who scored his 400th career goal earlier this week.
- Update on the Hughes family: a virtual get-together between Jack and Quinn Hughes and younger brother Luke, a top prospect in the upcoming 2021 NHL draft, with their parents.
- Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick-narrated feature on how an idea from Sidney Crosby in 2008 brought about the NHL’s “Learn to Play” program to offer more families a chance to experience the benefits of youth hockey;
- Profile on Rangers defenseman K’Andre Miller, featuring interviews with mentors and coaches from his journey to fulfilling a lifelong NHL dream.
Sunday’s quadrupleheader gets underway with Anders Lee and the New York Islanders hosting Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres at Noon ET on NBC. Coverage shifts to NBCSN at 2:30 p.m. ET when Ryan McDonagh and the defending Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning face Patrick Kane and the Chicago Blackhawks in a matinee affair.
Hockey Day in America, presented by Discover® continues when Charlie McAvoy and the Boston Bruins host Jack Hughes and the New Jersey Devils at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN. The nightcap features a clash between Chris Kreider and the New York Rangers and Jake Guentzel and the Pittsburgh Penguins at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN. HDIA coverage will also include numerous feature stories throughout the day that celebrate America’s love of hockey. Click here to view a teaser of the day’s content.
Below is HDIA coverage this Sunday:
|Sun., March 7||Buffalo vs. N.Y. Islanders||Kenny Albert, Eddie Olczyk||Noon||NBC|
|Tampa Bay vs. Chicago||John Forslund, Pierre McGuire||2:30 p.m.||NBCSN|
|New Jersey vs. Boston^||Brendan Burke, Brian Boucher||5 p.m.||NBCSN|
|N.Y. Rangers vs. Pittsburgh^||John Forslund, Pierre McGuire||7:30 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Hockey Day in America: NHL Overtime||Kathryn Tappen, Anson Carter, Ryan Callahan||10:15 p.m.*||NBCSN|
*Immediately following game coverage
^Blacked out in local markets: Pittsburgh, Boston, New York City
2020-21 REGULAR SEASON COVERAGE ON NBC SPORTS
NBC Sports is scheduled to present roughly 100 games featuring all 31 teams on NBC and NBCSN during the 2020-21 NHL regular-season, including a record 16 regular-season games on the NBC broadcast network. Click here for more info.