FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunday, September 6th, 2020
2020 KENTUCKY DERBY ON NBC IS MOST-WATCHED SPORTING EVENT SINCE SUPER BOWL & MOST WATCHED ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND SINCE 2017
Nearly 10 Million Watched Authentic Cross the Finish Line in Upset of Tiz the Law
Islanders-Flyers Second-Round Game 7 Immediately Following Kentucky Derby is Most-Watched Game of 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Rescheduled Kentucky Derby on “The First Saturday in September” Tops By 20% Last Year’s Most-Watched Sporting Event on Labor Day Weekend
STAMFORD, Conn. – September 6, 2020 – NBC Sports’ presentation of the rescheduled 146th Kentucky Derby yesterday averaged a preliminary* Total Audience Delivery of 8.4 million viewers across NBC and NBC Sports Digital – ranking as the most-watched sporting event since Super Bowl LIV in February and the most-watched sporting event on Labor Day Weekend since 2017, based on fast national data from Nielsen and digital data from Adobe Analytics (*does not include Out of Home viewership, which is included in official national viewership as of Aug. 31, 2020, and will be available later this week).
In addition, 9.8 million viewers watched on NBC as Authentic crossed the finish line 1¼ lengths ahead of favorite Tiz the Law.
Immediately following the Kentucky Derby on NBC, last night’s Game 7 of the New York Islanders-Philadelphia Flyers Second Round series (a 4-0 Islanders’ victory), averaged a preliminary TAD of 2.57 million viewers – marking the most-watched game of the 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Additional Viewership Highlights:
- The 2020 Kentucky Derby, with 8.3 million viewers on NBC (TV-only), topped by 20% the most-watched sporting event on last year’s Labor Day Weekend (6.9 million, Oregon-Auburn college football on ABC, Sat. 8/31/19).
- The 2020 Kentucky Derby (6:37-7:23 p.m. ET) delivered a 4.8/14 fast national rating. Local market ratings for all 56 metered markets will be available Monday afternoon.
- NBC Sports Digital delivered an Average Minute Audience of 132,800 viewers for the 2020 Kentucky Derby to rank as NBC Sports’ most-streamed horse racing event ever.
- Last night’s Islanders-Flyers is the most-watched Game 7 in the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in five years (2015, Capitals-Rangers, 2.75 million), and the third-most watched early round Game 7 on record.
- In Philadelphia, the Flyers delivered an 8.9 rating – the team’s best in the market on NBC since 2012 (Game 1 of Devils-Flyers second round series, 14.7). The Islanders’ 2.5 rating in New York is the second-best NBC rating for the team on record (Game 2 of Hurricanes-Islanders second round series last year, 2.6). Islanders-Flyers (7:23-10:02 p.m. ET) delivered a 1.39 national rating.
Top 10 Markets for Islanders-Flyers on NBC (*based on available 44 markets):
|7||West Palm Beach||2.1|
– NBC SPORTS –