FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, July 22nd, 2019
NBCUNIVERSAL CELEBRATES ONE YEAR UNTIL 2020 TOKYO OLYMPICS BY ACTIVATING ACROSS ITS UNMATCHED PORTFOLIO
TODAY, Access, CNBC, NBCSN, Telemundo, Golf Channel and Many More to Participate in Celebration
Primetime “Roadblock” Promotional Spot to Air Across 20+ NBCU Broadcast and Cable Networks
Olympians Shaun White, Ali Krieger and David Boudia Among 15 Athletes Celebrating One Year Out on NBCU Programs in New York and Los Angeles
Mike Tirico Live from Tokyo
NEW YORK, N.Y. – July 22, 2019 – NBCUniversal will celebrate one year until the 2020 Tokyo Olympics by utilizing its unmatched portfolio of assets to connect Olympic fans with the Games, the host city and the athletes they love to cheer. The celebration will transpire over the next two days, July 23-24, with the Tokyo Opening Ceremony set for July 24, 2020.
From sport demonstrations and athlete visits on TODAY to a company-wide promotional roadblock to interviews with NBC Olympics primetime host Mike Tirico live from Tokyo, NBCU will leverage its abundant and diverse platforms to build excitement for the 2020 Olympic Games with a host of promotional and editorial initiatives.
In cooperation with the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee, 15 world-class Olympic athletes and hopefuls — including Shaun White, Ali Krieger and David Boudia — will celebrate the occasion in New York and Los Angeles, and appear across numerous NBCU platforms and shows.
Following are highlights of NBCUniversal’s celebration for Tokyo 2020, taking place tomorrow and Wednesday:
- TODAY: On July 23, TODAY will feature Olympic athletes and content, including a demonstration of two exhilarating new Olympic sports, skateboarding and sport climbing, on the plaza.
- Mike Tirico: NBC Olympics primetime host Mike Tirico will be in Tokyo to celebrate the 2020 Olympic Games with live hits across NBCU properties, including TODAY, Nightly News with Lester Holt, Golf Channel, and numerous affiliates and owned stations.
- Olympic Athletes and Hopefuls: The following 15 accomplished Olympic athletes and hopefuls, who have won a combined 20 Olympic medals, will appear across a bevy of NBCU platforms on July 23-24, including Access, Talk Stoop, Telemundo owned stations, CNBC: Make It, NY Live, Stay Tuned, The Hub, On Her Turf and Comcast’s X1:
- Shaun White: Three-time Olympic Gold Medalist (in snowboarding)
- Brighton Zeuner:14-year-old; National Team Member in Park discipline
- Tom Schaar:National Team Member in Park discipline
- David Boudia: Four-time Olympic Medalist
- Jordan Burroughs: 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist
- Helen Maroulis: 2016 Olympic Gold Medalist
- Ashlyn Harris: Member of 2019 FIFA World Cup champion U.S. team
- Ali Krieger: 2016 Rio Olympian and member of 2019 FIFA World Cup U.S. championship team
- Sport Climbing:
- Ashima Shiraishi:2019 U.S. Champion – Bouldering
- Alex Johnson:Five-time U.S. Champion
- High Jump:
- Erik Kynard: 2012 Olympic Silver Medalist
- Laurie Hernandez: Two-time Olympic Medalist
- Indoor Volleyball:
- Foluke Akinradewo: Two-time Olympic Medalist
- Kim Rhode: Six-time Olympic Medalist
- Naya Tapper: National Team Member
- Promotional Roadblock: NBCUniversal’s 20+ broadcast and cable networks will air an exciting Olympic promotional spot on July 23, including a 60-second version in primetime on NBC set to “The Greatest Show” as performed by Panic! At the Disco.
- Social Media Roadblock: Social media accounts across NBCUniversal will harmonize to participate in an Olympic social roadblock, sharing the same Tokyo 2020 graphic on July 23. Team USA, National Governing Bodies, athletes and influencers will share social assets throughout the day as well.
- Peacock Games: On July 24, NBCUniversal, the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition, and the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee are joining together with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Children’s Aid to celebrate one year out from Tokyo 2020 with the Peacock Games. The event will feature a variety of sporting events and team building activities inspired by the Olympic games. Linda Yaccarino, Chairman, Advertising & Partnership, NBCUniversal, will host the event while America’s Got Talent’s Julianne Hough, skateboarder Tom Schaar, high jump Olympic medalist Erik Kynard and Olympic fencers Nzingha Prescod and Nicole Ross are slated to participate.
- On Her Turf: On Her Turf, an NBC Sports initiative and platform which celebrates female athletes and inspires all women to be the best version of themselves, on and off the field, has teamed up with The Wing to present a panel titled “Tokyo Olympics: One Year Out – How Women are Changing the Game” on July 24 at 7 p.m. ET at The Wing Flatiron in New York City.This timely and provocative panel discussion will be moderated by NBC Sports’ Kathryn Tappen, who hosts the On Her Turf Podcast, and will feature Ibtihaj Muhammad, the first Muslim-American to compete in the Olympics with a hijab and Olympic bronze medalist in fencing, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, three-time Olympic gold medalist in track and field and named by Sports Illustrated as the “Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th Century,” and Alex Johnson, two-time bouldering World Cup gold medalist.
- GOLF Channel: On Tuesday, July 23, GOLF Channel’s daily news shows, Morning Drive and Golf Central, will both showcase the men’s and women’s golf competitions at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Coverage will include interviews with Tirico, Olympic golf organizers and golf analysts. Morning Drive will break down the potential fields, which currently include golf superstars Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods and defending gold medalist Justin Rose, as well as Lexi Thompson, Jessica Korda, Brooke Henderson and defending gold medalist Inbee Park.
- Telemundo: Telemundo will feature special content and segments on its sports and entertainment show Titulares y Más and across the network’s daily programs and social media highlighting the one-year countdown with news and information around Tokyo 2020, the athletes expected to participate, new disciples, the host city, and much more.
- NBC Affiliates and Owned Stations: NBC affiliates and owned stations will bring local markets around the country live broadcast elements from TODAY plaza on July 23, news broadcasts with cultural elements from Tokyo and will feature athlete interviews and Olympic content localized to their market.
NBCUniversal owns the exclusive media rights to the Olympic Games in the U.S. through 2032.