FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, October 8th, 2018
JARVIS LANDRY & ADAM THIELEN SPOKE WITH PETER KING FOR “FOOTBALL MORNING IN AMERICA” EXCLUSIVELY ON NBCSPORTS.COM
“I couldn’t look.” – Landry on K Greg Joseph’s 55-yard field goal attempt
“They were trying to pull my hair. Good thing I got my hair cut. It was not fun under there.” – Thielen on Philadelphia’s on-side kick attempt
“Football Morning in America” Runs Every Monday Exclusively on NBCSports.com
STAMFORD, Conn. – Oct. 8, 2018 – Peter King’s Week 5 edition of “Football Morning in America,” available now exclusively on NBCSports.com, features interviews with Cleveland Browns WR Jarvis Landry, and Minnesota Vikings WR Adam Thielen.
This week’s edition also includes an in-depth look at the career of New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees, “What I Learned” with Denver Broncos TE Jake Butt, awards, quotes, travel notes, and more.
The following are highlights from this week’s edition of “Football Morning in America”:
JARVIS LANDRY AND CLEVELAND BROWNS
- Landry on the go-ahead field goal attempt: “I couldn’t look.”
- Landry on his Hard Knocks rant: “My heart was full. I had no idea it would be as big as it turned out to be. But I was just trying to state the truth and wake some guys up.”
- Thielen on Philadelphia’s on-side kick attempt: “It wasn’t a normal end-over-end onside kick. It had a nasty spin on it and when I saw it coming at me I just wanted to make sure I could just knock it down then jump on it. Just wanted to get on it and secure it because when it’s a bang-bang play like that there’s a lot of guys on you—a lot of pinching and hair-pulling. They were trying to pull my hair. Good thing I got my hair cut. It was not fun under there.”
“WHAT I LEARNED” WITH JAKE BUTT
- Butt, who attended Michigan, on not receiving an offer from Ohio State: “I’ve really always been motivated by people doubting me. I was a really skinny kid coming out of high school. I was a good tight end but I was skinny. I had some big-time offers but a kid from Columbus, Ohio, … Ohio State never offered me. I’m 15 minutes from their campus. I remember that pissed me off and still does to this day a little bit, you know? That was great motivation for me.”
“You might have heard this: Drew Brees needs 201 passing yards to become the most prolific passer in NFL history. He enters tonight’s home game with Washington third, with 71,740 yards, 98 behind number two Brett Favre and 200 behind Peyton Manning. So you knew that. But how up on Brees trivia are you? Let’s see.”
- Growing up in Texas, Brees never played tackle football until junior high school. True or false?
- Brees received only two Division I scholarship offers after going 28-0-1 as a high school quarterback in Austin. He chose Purdue over which school?
- Brees was third in Heisman voting in 2000. Which players were 1-2 that year?
For the answers, read the rest of the column here.
A new “Football Morning in America” will post every Monday morning exclusively on NBCSports.com. It was announced in May that King signed an exclusive agreement with NBC Sports Group that included writing a weekly Monday morning NFL column for NBCSports.com; making regular appearances on NBCSN’s and NBC Sports Radio’s PFT Live with Mike Florio; and continuing to contribute to Football Night in America, the most-watched studio show in sports.