FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 10th, 2016
NBC SPORTS BRINGS IMMERSIVE FAN EXPERIENCE TO SXSW WITH THE NBC SPORTS LAWN
Destination for Sports Lovers to Include Exclusive Olympic Discussion with NBC Olympics Executives Jim Bell & John Miller, Olympian Tara Lipinski, & Golf Channel Analyst David Feherty; Moderated By NBC Sports’ Rob Simmelkjaer
NBC Sports Premier League Analyst Kyle Martino to Host Premier League Viewing Party & Check Presentation for CPTR’D Short-Form Video Contest Winner
NASCAR America Comes to SXSW with Exclusive Discussion Featuring NASCAR on NBC’s Rutledge Wood, Rick Allen & Steve Letarte, & Sprint Cup Driver Austin Dillon
What: NBC Sports is bringing the best in sports to Austin with the NBC Sports Lawn at SXSW – giving SXSW attendees a place to recharge with free beer, lawn games, charging stations, live sports and programming throughout the weekend. Fans will also be treated to a sneak peek into this year’s Rio Olympics coverage, with a discussion covering what it takes to cover, produce, market, and compete in the Games in the digital age. Additionally, visitors will receive behind-the-scenes access to NBCSN programming and have various opportunities to share the sports they love via social media.
Open daily at the Four Seasons from March 11 – 13, the NBC Sports Lawn at SXSW will feature Rio Olympic and NASCAR America discussions with NBC Sports executives and commentators; a Premier League watch party hosted by NBC Sports Premier League analyst and former MLS star Kyle Martino; and a $10,000 check presentation to the winner of CPTR’D – NBC Sports’ short-form video contest.
Most NBC Sports Lawn activities, including both discussions, will be streamed live on Periscope. Viewers can submit questions through NBC Sports’ Facebook (NBC Olympics and NASCAR on NBC) and Twitter (@NBCOlympics and @NASCARonNBC) accounts. Fans can also share their experiences and join the conversation by using #NBCSportsAtSXSW on social media.
Special programming and events include:
- Rio Olympics Chat & Happy Hour (Friday, March 11; 6:00pm – 7:00pm CT): Celebrate the upcoming 2016 Rio Olympics and with cocktails and conversation about what it takes to cover, produce, market, and compete in the Olympic Games in the digital age. The discussion will feature perspectives from NBC Olympics Executive Producer Jim Bell, NBC Olympics CMO John Miller, Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski, and Golf Channel analyst David Feherty. NBC Sports’ Rob Simmelkjaer will moderate.
- Premier League Watch Party (Saturday, March 12; 7:30am – 1:00pm CT): Join NBC Sports Premier League analyst and former MLS star Kyle Martino for a morning of pints and Premier League football, featuring the day’s matches and the chance to cheer on your club with fellow supporters.
- CPTR’D Screening & Winner Presentation with Kyle Martino (Saturday, March 12; 4:00pm – 6:00pm CT): Kyle Martino will present a check of $10,000 to the winner of NBC Sports’ short-form feature contest, CPTR’D, which pays homage to the NBC Sports’ award-winning storytelling heritage. The winning short will also be telecast on NBCSN.
- NASCAR America Live Discussion (6:00pm – 7:00pm): Join NASCAR on NBC’s race announcer Rick Allen, features reporter Rutledge Wood, and Daytona 500-winning crew chief and analyst Steve Letarte for an engaging happy hour discussion surrounding NASCAR’s symbiotic relationship with technology and social media. Sprint Cup driver Austin Dillon will also join the discussion via satellite from Phoenix International Raceway.
Who*: Jim Bell, Executive Producer, NBC Olympics
John Miller, Chief Marketing Officer, NBC Olympics
David Feherty, Golf Channel Analyst & Host of Feherty
Tara Lipinski, Olympic Gold Medalist & NBC Sports Analyst
Rob Simmelkjaer, NBC Sports VP & On-Air Personality
Kyle Martino, Former MLS Star and NBC Sports Premier League Analyst
Rutledge Wood, NASCAR on NBC Features Reporter
Rick Allen, NASCAR on NBC Race Announcer
Steve Letarte, NASCAR on NBC Analyst
Austin Dillon, Sprint Cup Driver
*Interviews available upon request*
When: NBC Sports Lawn at SXSW is open daily:
- Friday, March 11; 11:00am – 8:00pm
- Saturday, March 12; 7:45am – 8:00pm
- Sunday, March 13; 11:00am – 6:00pm
Where: Four Seasons Austin
[off the San Jacinto Ballroom]
98 San Jacinto Blvd, Austin, TX 78701
Media Alex Wollman | CIVIC ENTERTAINMENT GROUP for NBC Sports
Contacts: (914) 588-0313 | firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #