FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, October 27th, 2015
GOLF CHANNEL’S LIVE COVERAGE OF THE INAUGURAL EAST LAKE CUP COLLEGIATE MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP BEGINS MONDAY, NOV. 2
Field Comprised of 2015 NCAA Men’s and Women’s Golf Championships Semifinalists, Airing Live on Golf Channel Monday, Nov. 2 and Tuesday, Nov. 3 at Historic East Lake Golf Club
Nation’s Current Top-Ranked Programs (Illinois Men and USC Women) Headline Field That Features 2015 Men’s and Women’s National Champions (LSU and Stanford)
Men: LSU, USC, Illinois and Georgia
Women: Stanford, Baylor, USC and Duke
Free General Admission and Public Parking for Inaugural East Lake Cup;
School Mascots in Attendance on Monday, Nov. 2
Website: East Lake Cup
ORLANDO, Fla. Oct. 27, 2015 – Coming off dramatic conclusions to the NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Golf Championships in late May and early June, the four semifinal schools will reconvene to compete in the inaugural East Lake Cup collegiate match play championship, airing live on Golf Channel Monday-Tuesday, Nov. 2-3 at historic East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta, Ga., benefitting the East Lake Foundation.
PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS: The men’s division will feature a rematch of the National Championship semifinals. The four participating schools include: reigning National Champions Louisiana State University (LSU), the University of Southern California (USC), who lost to LSU in the championship match; the University of Illinois, who has won three of their last four fall collegiate events and is currently the top-ranked team in the country according to the GCAA Coaches Rankings, and the University of Georgia (UGA), two-time national champions (1999 and 2005).
The women’s division features three of the top-four ranked teams in the current Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings. 2015 NCAA Women’s National Champion Stanford University headlines the women’s field that includes 2015 championship runner-up Baylor University; the University of Southern California (USC), currently the top-ranked team in the country in both the Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings and Golfstat Relative Ranking; and six-time national champions Duke University.
FORMAT: Two match-play tournaments will be contested simultaneously at East Lake Golf Club for the men’s and women’s divisions. Monday, Nov. 2 will feature the semifinals and Tuesday, Nov. 3 will feature the finals and consolation matches. Within both the semifinals and finals, the competing teams will pair five players in singles matches.
Men’s Division Semifinal Matches, Monday, Nov. 2:
LSU vs. Georgia
USC vs. Illinois
Women’s Division Semifinal Matches, Monday, Nov. 2:
Stanford vs. Duke
Baylor vs. USC
GOLF CHANNEL NEWS AND TOURNAMENT COVERAGE: Live tournament coverage of the East Lake Cup will air on Golf Channel from 2-5 p.m. ET each day and will replay in primetime. In addition, Golf Central will surround live tournament coverage with pre- and post-event news coverage, as well as daily updates on Morning Drive and online at GolfChannel.com. News and tournament coverage also will be streamed live on Golf Live Extra.
Golf Channel East Lake Cup News / Tournament Coverage (live, all times ET)
Monday, Nov. 2 Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Monday, Nov. 2 Golf Central Pre Game 1-2 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 2 Semifinals, Match Play 2-5 p.m.
Monday, Nov. 2 Golf Central 5-6 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 3 Morning Drive 7-9 a.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 3 Golf Central Pre Game 1-2 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 3 Finals, Match Play 2-5 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 3 Golf Central 5-6 p.m.
Tom Cousins Award Presentation on Monday, Nov. 2
The East Lake Cup will present the Tom Cousins Award at the East Lake Cup Celebration Monday night, Nov. 2 at the College Football Hall of Fame. The Tom Cousins Award is a new annual recognition of an outstanding male and female golfer who exemplify the values of the East Lake Foundation: excels in academics, engaged in his or her community and has overcome adversity. This award is named for Tom Cousins, founder of the East Lake Foundation, which transformed a community in despair into a thriving neighborhood, now a national model for community redevelopment through Purposes Built Communities. The recipients will be featured on Golf Channel’s news and tournament coverage on Tuesday, Nov. 3.
Golf Channel’s East Lake Cup Tournament Broadcast Team:
- Notah Begay, On-Course Reporter (Member of the 1994 NCAA Team National Champions, Stanford University)
- Billy Ray Brown, On-Course Reporter (1982 NCAA Individual Champion, member of 3-time NCAA Team National Champions, University of Houston)
- Curt Byrum, Tower Announcer (Participant in 1979 NCAA Men’s Golf Championships, University of New Mexico)
- Kay Cockerill, On Course Reporter (Finished Fourth at 1986 NCAA Women’s Golf Championships, 2-time All-American at UCLA)
- Lanny Wadkins, Lead Analyst (3-time NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championships participant – 1969 (10th), 1970 (2nd) and 1971 (6th), Wake Forest University.
- Bob Papa, Play-by-Play Commentator
Golf Channel News Team – Morning Drive and Golf Central
- Lisa Cornwell, Reporter (University of Arkansas)
- Angela Hamann, Reporter (University of Texas)
- Charlie Rymer, Morning Drive host (Georgia Tech, 4-time NCAA Men’s Golf Championships participant)
- Stanford’s Mariah Stackhouse and Baylor’s Hayley Davis Talk Dramatic Final Match at NCAA Women’s Golf Championships – In a match that went 19 holes, Stanford’s Mariah Stackhouse defeated Baylor’s Hayley Davis to clinch the 2015 NCAA Women’s Golf Team Championship. Stackhouse and Davis discuss the final four holes of the dramatic back-and-forth match.
- Duke’s Leona Maguire’s Remarkable Freshman Year – Golf Channel will take a look back to Leona Maguire’s memorable Freshman year at Duke. As one of the top players in women’s college golf during the 2014-15 season, she earned three wins, finished second at the NCAA Individual Women’s Golf Championship and won the Annika Award as the nation’s top player in women’s college golf. Maguire also will discuss her expectations for the 2015-16 season.
- 2015 Men’s National Champions LSU – Golf Channel will highlight LSU’s men’s national championship title run in 2015 and will look ahead to their goals for the 2015-16 season, which include rebuilding after losing two of the their top players due to graduation.
- USC Looking for First National Championship – Profiling the 2015 NCAA Men’s runners-up USC Trojans and their quest to claim their first national title. Golf Channel also will examine the chemistry of the team, which includes returning All-Americans Sean Crocker and Rico Hoey.
- East Lake Foundation and History of East Lake Golf Club – East Lake Golf Club’s rich history and legacy was overshadowed by the deterioration of the community in the late 1980’s-1990’s. Golf Channel takes a look at the vision of Tom Cousins and the East Lake Foundation’s revitalization of the East Lake Community, which today is a benchmark for Purposed Built Communities currently in development nationwide.
GOLFCHANNEL.COM DIGITAL COVERAGE: GolfChannel.com will provide comprehensive coverage during the East Lake Cup as part of College Central (GolfChannel.com/college). College Central, led by Jay Coffin and Ryan Lavner, is the source for all things NCAA golf, including tournament results, features and columns, video highlights and breaking news. Complete information on the East Lake Cup can be found on the tournament website here. Fans also can stay connected with the championship on Twitter via @GolfChannel using the hashtag #EastLakeCup.
MASCOTS TO INTERACT WITH FANS AT EAST LAKE CUP: Each of the Mascots for the respective schools will be in attendance at East Lake Golf Club on Monday, Nov 2, interacting with fans and participating in Golf Channel’s news and tournament coverage. In addition, Georgia Tech’s mascot and the University of Oregon’s mascot – Oregon is the host school for the 2016 NCAA Division I Golf Championships – will be on-site at East Lake Golf Club.
About the East Lake Foundation
Founded in 1995 on the belief that everyone deserves a chance to succeed, the East Lake Foundation collaborates with public and private organizations to provide tools that enable Atlanta’s East Lake residents to build a better future through its model for community revitalization.
The East Lake model includes cradle-to-college education at Charles R. Drew Charter School and its early learning partners, mixed-income housing at The Villages of East Lake and community wellness through programs including The First Tee® of East Lake, the Resident and Community Support Program, the East Lake Community Learning Garden, Start ME: East Lake micro-entrepreneur program and East Lake Healthy Connections. This approach to building a strong community not only helps break the intergenerational cycle of poverty, but creates a place where people of all ages and incomes choose to live. East Lake has become a national model for holistic community revitalization programs through its sister organization, Purpose Built Communities. Additional information is available at www.eastlakefoundation.org.
About East Lake Golf Club
Located in Atlanta, the East Lake Golf Club is the home course of legendary golfer Bobby Jones and is the oldest golf course in the city of Atlanta. The Club is not only historic, but philanthropic as well. Proceeds from operations support the East Lake Foundation, now serving as a national model for holistic community redevelopment across the country through Purpose Built Communities.
Over the years, the golf course has hosted many national and regional championships, including the 1950 U.S. Women’s Amateur, 1963 Ryder Cup, and 2001 U.S. Men’s Amateur. It is now the permanent home of the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola, the culminating event of the PGA TOUR Playoffs for the FedEx Cup. Additional information may be found at www.eastlakegolfclub.com
About Golf Channel
Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. Golf Channel, co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and now part of the NBC Sports Group, is available in more than 120 million homes in 83 countries and 12 languages around the world. Exclusive partnerships with the world’s top tours allow Golf Channel to feature more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, as well as a programming schedule distinguished by golf’s highest-quality news, instruction and original programming. Golf Channel’s digital platforms, headed by GolfChannel.com, are the leading golf destinations on the Internet, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf. Fans are able to enjoy 24/7 live streaming of Golf Channel content through Golf Live Extra and select programming is simulcast via SiriusXM’s PGA TOUR Radio. In addition, Golf Channel connects the world to golf through a wide array of digital services including Golf Channel Mobile; GolfNow, the world’s largest online booking platform; GolfAdvisor.com, a golf course ratings and review portal; the interactive Golf Channel Academy instructional app; and the Golf Channel Am Tour, the world’s largest amateur golf tour.
-NBC Sports Group-