FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 12th, 2014
2014 IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TO AIR SATURDAY AT 1:30 P.M. ET ON NBC
Coverage Features IRONMAN Journeys of Olympian Apolo Ohno, Racing Legend Alex Zanardi and Many Other Athletes
Annual Special Includes Incredible Come-From-Behind Victories by Female World Champion Mirinda “Rinny” Carfrae and Male World Champion Sebastien Kienle
STAMFORD, Conn. – Nov, 12, 2014 – NBC Sports’ annual IRONMAN World Championship broadcast special, from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, will air Saturday at 1:30 p.m. ET. For more than 35 years, the IRONMAN World Championship triathlon has showcased not only the raw power and competitive nature of the top endurance athletes in the world, but also some of the most awe-inspiring stories of courage and determination from age-group athletes and everyday individuals competing alongside them.
The 90-minute show will provide viewers an all-access experience as more than 30 cameras captured the action from the air, across the barren lava fields, and under the water of Kailua Bay during the 140.6-mile challenge that took place on October 11, 2014.
Veteran sportscaster Al Trautwig will again narrate the annual special and offer viewers a front-row seat to one of the most captivating events in sports. A programming fixture on NBC since 1991, the IRONMAN World Championship special has garnered more than 40 Emmy Award nominations and won 16 Emmys along with many other accolades.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to the big day, unveiling the intensity, emotion, physical demands and dramatic competition as 2,000 athletes from more than 65 countries swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and ran 26.2 miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain.
Among the features of this year’s IRONMAN World Championship presented by Go Pro special:
- Exclusive interviews with current and former World Champions and other IRONMAN finishers
- First-time journey of eight-time Olympic medalist in short-track speed skating and IRONMAN World Championship competitor Apolo Ohno
- Dramatic and record-setting come-from-behind performance by female World Champion Mirinda “Rinny” Carfrae of Australia – overcoming a nearly 15-minute deficit on the marathon course
- Blistering bike pace by male World Champion Sebastien Kienle –– from 38th place out of the water to claim victory
- Remarkable story of perseverance from Italian CART racing legend and Paralympic handcycle champion Alex Zanardi
- An iron-willed Lisa Hallett, who competes to remember her fallen husband John and the sacrifice of other American military service members
- Boston Marathon Race Director Dave McGillivray’s leadership through tragedy and IRONMAN journey
- New and unique course perspective utilizing GoPro cameras
For more information about the 2014 IRONMAN World Championship presented by GoPro and the NBC broadcast special, please visit www.ironman.com.
The iconic IRONMAN Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Recognized for excellence through distinguished events, world-class athletes and quality products, IRONMAN has grown from a single race to a global sensation with more than 190 events across five unique brands: IRONMAN, IRONMAN 70.3, 5150 Triathlon Series, Iron Girl and IRONKIDS. For more information, visit www.ironman.com
–NBC SPORTS GROUP–