FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014
NBC’S “SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL” IS PRIMETIME TELEVISION’S NO. 1 SHOW FOR THIRD CONSECUTIVE TV SEASON
SNF No. 1 in Broadcast Primetime in Viewership, HH Rating, All Men & Adult Demos and Women 18-34 and 18-49
SNF Wins Adult 18-49 Demo for 4th Consecutive TV Season
STAMFORD, Conn. – May 22, 2014 – NBC’s Sunday Night Football finished the 2013-14 television season as the No. 1 show in primetime in household rating, viewership and the coveted Adult 18-49 demographic, based on live plus same day data from The Nielsen Company (September-May).
This marks the third consecutive television season — and the only three times on record — that a sports series has been the highest-rated and most-watched show of the primetime TV season.
For the 2013-2014 primetime television season, Sunday Night Football ranks as the highest-rated (12.8), most-watched show (21.7 million, viewers 2+), and the No. 1 broadcast program across the key demographics of Adults 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 as well as Men 18-49, 18-34 and 25-54 and Women 18-34 and 18-49.
In addition, 12 SNF games averaged at least 20 million viewers, tying NBC’s Sochi Winter Olympics for most primetime telecasts with 20 million viewers (not including pre-/post-shows).
Following is a look at primetime telecasts averaging at least 20 million viewers from Sept. 5, 2013-May 21, 2014 (based on live plus same day data):
|Program||# of Primetime Telecasts With 20 Million Viewers|
|Sunday Night Football||12|
|Sochi Winter Olympics||12|
|NFL Postseason Games*||4 (1 on NBC)|
|Big Bang Theory||2|
|New Girl (post-Super Bowl)||1|
|Golden Globe Awards||1|
|BCS Championship Game||1|
|NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship||1|
*Four NFL postseason games in primetime: Super Bowl XLVIII, NFC Championship Game, AFC Divisional Playoff, NFC Wild Card Playoff
Also notable from the 2013-14 TV season (based on live plus same day data):
- The 21.7 million average viewers for Sunday Night Football tops second place NCIS (16.9 million) by nearly five million viewers;
- The 2010-13 seasons of Sunday Night Football are the first four seasons that an NFL primetime package drew more than 21 million viewers since the 1993-1996 seasons of Monday Night Football on ABC;
- In the advertiser-coveted Adult 18-49 demographic, Sunday Night Football ranks as the No. 1 show for the fourth consecutive TV season and tops the second place show by 18% (8.0 vs. 6.8 for The Walking Dead);
- Sunday Night Football’s win in the Women 18-49 demographic marks the first time ever that a sports series has ranked No. 1 among the broadcast networks in this category for a full TV season. This is the second consecutive season that SNF finished No. 1 among the broadcast networks among Women 18-34 (tied with The Voice for No. 1 last season).
While final live plus seven data for the broadcast TV season will not be available for a few weeks, according to Nielsen’s most current data stream (with live plus seven through May 4), Sunday Night Football leads the No. 2 primetime show in the following metrics:
- Average Viewership – Sunday Night Football averaged 21.9 million viewers, nearly two million more than 20.0 million for Big Bang Theory.
- Household Rating – Sunday Night Football posted a12.8 HH rating, topping the 12.4 for NCIS.
For more information about NBC Sports Group shows and properties, including press releases, photos, talent and executive bios and headshots, please visit NBCSportsGroupPressBox.com.
–NBC SPORTS GROUP–