FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, March 14th, 2013
NBC SPORTS GROUP SCORES RECORD RATINGS FOR WGC-CADILLAC CHAMPIONSHIP
“Golf Channel on NBC” Weekend Coverage Highest-Rated and Most-Watched for Event in Seven Years
Golf Channel’s Round Two Coverage Highest-Rated and Most-Watched in Tournament History
Viewership Up Year Over Year Heading into Tampa Bay Championship presented by EverBank
ORLANDO, Fla., March 14, 2013 – Golf Channel and NBC generated record ratings during its combined 42 hours of tournament coverage of the WGC-Cadillac Championship at TPC Blue Monster at Trump Doral last week, where Tiger Woods went wire-to-wire to record his 76th PGA TOUR victory and first World Golf Championships win in four years.
Golf Channel Highlights
- Golf Channel’s round two on Friday (1.5 household coverage rating and 1.47 million viewers) was the highest-rated and most-watched early round in the history of this tournament with a 24-percent increase year over year. Round two also was the most-watched PGA TOUR early round since the Friday of the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola (Sept. 21, 2012).
- Golf Channel’s round one on Thursday (1.0 / 1.016 million viewers) was the highest-rated and most-watched Thursday PGA TOUR coverage this year.
- Golf Channel’s final round lead-in coverage on Sunday (1.5 / 1.518 million viewers) was the highest-rated and most-watched “lead-in” coverage at this tournament with a 25-percent increase year over year. Golf Channel began airing lead-in coverage at this event in 2011.
- Through the WGC-Cadillac Championship, PGA TOUR viewership on Golf Channel is up 9 percent year over year.
- Sunday coverage on NBC (3-7P) posted a 3.7 U.S. household rating and 5.5 million viewers, up 33 percent from 2012 (3-7P; 2.8) and making it the highest-rated and most-watched final round at this tournament since 2006, which also was another Tiger Woods victory.
- Saturday’s coverage on NBC (2-6P) received a 2.3 U.S. household rating and 3.4 million viewers, up 21 percent from 2012 (2-6P; 2.0) and making it the highest-rated and most-watched third round at this tournament since 2006.
- Through the WGC-Cadillac Championship, PGA TOUR viewership on NBC is up 3 percent year over year.
Golf Channel’s strong viewership for the WGC-Cadillac Championship continues the momentum the network has generated in 2013 with its best start in history with January and February combining for record numbers.
NBC Sports Group continues its seven-week run on the PGA TOUR this week with live, four-round coverage of the Tampa Bay Championship presented by EverBank (March 14-17), followed by the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard (March 21-24), Shell Houston Open (March 28-31) and the Valero Texas Open (April 4-7).