FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, July 17th, 2018
TELEMUNDO DEPORTES’ EXCLUSIVE 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP™ COVERAGE DELIVERS UNPRECEDENTED AUDIENCE, ATTENTION & ACCOLADES
Telemundo Reaches Nearly 37 Million Viewers & Sets Network Viewership Records for ALL 7 DAYS of the Week during 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™
Telemundo Ranked #1 among All Spanish-Language TV Networks in Total Day Viewership 14 Consecutive Days among Adults 18-49
Telemundo Deportes’ Digital Presentation Delivers Biggest Livestream Sports Event in Spanish-Language History, Generating a Record-Setting 130 Million Livestreams & Nearly 2 Billion Live Minutes Viewed
Telemundo’s Mexico-Germany Group Stage Match Ranked As #2 Most-Watched Match in Any Language in 2018 – Marking First Time Since 2002 That a Spanish-Language Broadcast Ranked in Top 2 in a World Cup
Outkicking The Coverage – Despite Fewest Latin Countries in World Cup Quarter-finals since 2006, & Hispanics Accounting for Only 18% of U.S. Population, Telemundo Delivered 41% of Average Match Audience
Telemundo stations in Los Angeles, Miami & Houston Dominated World Cup Viewership in ANY language across all match windows
MOSCOW – July 16, 2018 – With France winning yesterday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ final 4-2, Telemundo Deportes wrapped up its first-ever World Cup by delivering record audiences across its linear and digital platforms, while garnering unprecedented exposure for programming in all dayparts and for its owned and affiliate partners.
NBCUniversal International Group and NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises Chairman Cesar Conde: “The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia solidified Telemundo’s position as the undisputed leader in Hispanic media. Hundreds of our employees across Russia and back in the U.S. worked endless hours to ensure that our coverage was the best that soccer fans had ever seen. More than ever before, tens of millions of soccer fans now know that soccer is, in fact, better in español.”
Telemundo Deportes President Ray Warren: “Telemundo’s presentation of the 2018 World Cup – the most ambitious undertaking in network history – has been a multiplatform success, establishing Telemundo Deportes as the destination for biggest, best global sports programming in Spanish-language while providing record-breaking lifts in all dayparts and increased visibility and viewership for our owned and affiliate partners. We exceeded our revenue goals and the expectations of our 2018 World Cup advertisers, thanks to the excellent planning and efforts of our sales team, and our ability to deliver strong viewership among the coveted Adult 18-49 demo.”
- Telemundo Deportes’ presentation of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ on linear and digital platforms across NBCUniversal featured an unprecedented 1,600+ hours of coverage. NBCU offered 600+ hours of World Cup linear programming across three networks: Telemundo, Universo and NBC Sports Network (NBCSN).
- Powered by NBC Sports Group’s Playmaker Media, TelemundoDeportes.com, and the Telemundo Deportes En Vivo, NBC Sports and Telemundo Station apps, Telemundo Deportes livestreamed 1,000+ total hours of World Cup content across desktops, mobile devices and tablets, plus connected TVs for the first time.
- Telemundo Deportes also provided 4K Ultra HD content to NBCU distribution partners for all 64 World Cup matches on demand as well as the first-ever Virtual Reality (VR) programming for the network.
Telemundo Deportes’ Executive Vice President of Production, Programming and Content Eli Velazquez: “It is extremely satisfying to have fulfilled our mission of delivering an elevated World Cup experience to the audiences we serve across all of our platforms. We are all proud to be part of this historic moment for Telemundo Deportes and feel that we have left a lasting impression that demonstrates our commitment to provide entertaining and meaningful coverage of the events that our communities love so much.”
- “The takeover of the World Cup broadcast in Spanish has helped propel Telemundo’s rise as a major player in the world of Spanish-language sports media in the United States.” – New York Times
- “This will be a game-changing tournament for Telemundo in so many ways. It’s drawing more people to the network, with a chance to promote its shows and personalities to the types of audiences it has never enjoyed before. The network sold out its World Cup advertising inventory, and it has seen a ratings bonanza.” – Forbes
- “American soccer does not have many figures who eclipse the game… [Andres] Cantor is among the few to bust out of the soccer bubble.” – Washington Post
- “For this World Cup, Telemundo has become must-see TV.” – World Soccer Talk
- “No one in the world (at least that I have heard) is better at the build-up prior to a goal than Telemundo lead game caller Andres Cantor.” – The Athletic
Telemundo Deportes’ World Cup Executive Producer Jim Bell: “The critical acclaim, and bottom line success, for Telemundo at this World Cup underscores the unique environment, and fellowship, at NBCUniversal. Telemundo Deportes’ fervor for futbol, combined with the experience of the NBC Olympics team, has been a winning combination, and a source of pride throughout our company.”
Telemundo Deportes’ expansive and exclusive Spanish-language World Cup coverage delivered records and milestones across all platforms, according to data provided by Nielsen and Adobe Analytics.
- Through all 64 matches, Telemundo Deportes’ 2018 World Cup presentation reached 36.6 million TV viewers – exceeding by +13% the Spanish-language reach for the 2010 tournament (32.3 million) in a comparable time zone, and coming within 1.3 Million of the 2014 World Cup (37.9M), which took place in time-zone favorable Brazil. In all, it was unquestionably the greatest 32-day performance in network history as Telemundo reached 57% of the U.S. Hispanic population.
- Telemundo’s TV coverage set records for the network’s most-watched daytime for EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK, and in many cases set records for specific days on multiple occasions. In addition, the network delivered its three best weekend daytime audiences on record – on the first three weekends of the tournament.
- Telemundo’s Mexico-Germany in the Group Stage on June 17 averaged 6.58 million viewers for the full program (10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ET) and 7.13 million viewers for the two-hour match to rank as the second-most watched match of the entire World Cup tournament (behind only yesterday’s English-language World Cup final) – marking the first time since 2002 that a Spanish-language broadcast ranked among the top two in a World Cup tournament. In addition, the broadcast was the most-watched World Cup Group Stage match in Spanish-language TV history.
- With Uruguay the only Spanish-language dominant country advancing as far as the quarterfinals – the fewest number in both rounds since 2006 – and Hispanics comprising only 18% of the U.S. population, Telemundo STILL generated 41% of the average U.S. TV audience for this World Cup.
- For the first time in its history, Telemundo ranked as the #1 Spanish-language network in Total Day viewership for 14 consecutive days among Adults 18-49 (June 15-June 28). In addition, Telemundo ranks as the #1 Spanish-language broadcast network in Total Day for the full tournament (through July 12, based on latest available information), outperforming its closest competition by +39% among total viewers (1.11 million vs. 799,000) and +69% among Adults 18-49 (545,000 vs. 323,000).
- Telemundo Deportes’ digital presentation reached 15.5 million unique users, generating a record-setting 130 million livestreams AND 1.96 BILLION live minutes viewed – which makes Telemundo’s 2018 World Cup the biggest livestream sports event in Spanish-language history. Telemundo Deportes also delivered the 50 most-livestreamed games in Spanish language history.
- Telemundo Deportes’ Total Audience Delivery (TAD) average was 2.3 million viewers per 2018 World Cup match, with Telemundo Deportes’ digital presentation providing a substantial 10% lift to the TAD with an Average Minute Audience of 207,000 viewers. The June 17 Mexico-Germany match delivered Telemundo’s highest TAD of the tournament with an average of 7.4 million viewers.
- A staggering 17% of Hispanics who speak English only, watched this World Cup EXCLUSIVELY on Telemundo through the semi-finals.
A closer look, by platform:
- Since the start of the tournament on June 14 (though July 12, Telemundo dominated Spanish-language broadcast television, delivering the top 39 telecasts on Spanish-language broadcast television in Total Day among Adults 18-49, and the top 26 telecasts among total viewers (based on latest available data).
- Telemundo’s June 17 Mexico-Germany and June 23 Mexico-South Korea games rank as two of the nine most-watched Spanish-language matches in World Cup history (428 matches, including World Cup finals, since 1994). The matches also rank as the two most-watched sports broadcasts in the network’s history. In all, 2018 World Cup matches rank as 6 of the 10 most-watched sports broadcasts in Telemundo history, including the top two.
- Telemundo posted seven consecutive days of record-breaking daytime viewership (7a.m. – 5 p.m. ET, Sunday 6/17- Saturday 6/23) and set daytime viewership records on 11 of the 15 Group Stage match days among total viewers.
- Telemundo dominated in major Hispanic markets. In 56 Telemundo game windows, World Cup matches ranked #1 among Adults 18-49 in Spanish-language 93% of the time in the Top 14 Hispanic markets with Local People Meters (730 of 784 windows in those markets).
- Telemundo stations in Los Angeles (KVEA), Miami (WSCV) and Houston (KTMD) had the MOST World Cup viewership in their markets – REGARDLESS OF LANGUAGE – ranking #1 overall among Adults 18-49, 25-54 and total viewers.
- Top 10 Telemundo markets for World Cup viewership among total viewers include (P2+ RTG/SHR):
- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale (WSVC), 4.3/25
- Los Angeles (KVEA), 1.8/13
- Houston (KTMD), 1.7/10
- New York (WNJU), 1.3/8
- Dallas-Ft. Worth (KXAS), 1.1/7
- Chicago (WSNS), 0.8/6
- Washington (WZDC), 0.8/5
- San Francisco (KSTS), 0.7/6
- Phoenix (KTAZ), 0.7/5
- Tampa-St. Petersburg, 0.6/3
- Telemundo Deportes’ Digital averaged the 50 most-watched livestream single-day events in Spanish-language history during the 2018 World Cup. The June 27 Mexico-Sweden match holds the all-time Spanish-language record with 6.9 million livestreams.
- The Mexico-Sweden Group Stage finale peaked at 1.02 million concurrent livestreams – the most for any event in NBC Sports Digital history, excluding Super Bowls, and the only event other than the Super Bowl to hit the 1 million mark.
- For the full tournament, Telemundo Deportes has added more than 184,000 social fans and generated 3.2 million social actions.
- Telemundo was the #1 most socially engaged network across all broadcast and cable on 6/16, 6/22, 6/27 and 7/3.
- Copa Mundial de la FIFA 2018 was the #1 Most Social Program among Hispanic programs for 21 days during the tournament.
WORLD CUP SHOULDER PROGRAMMING & ADDITIONAL DAYPARTS
- Since the start of the World Cup, Telemundo increased its lead in weekday prime time (Mon. – Fri. 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET) as the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast network growing by +15% among Adults 18-49 (666,000 to 768,000).
- Telemundo’s regular daily news and entertainment programming delivered ratings significantly above their respective prior four-week daypart averages among Adults 18-49 throughout the tournament:
- Daily morning show Un Nuevo Dia is up +95%, and reached more than 12 million viewers with its regular and special editions
- Daily news magazine Al Rojo Vivo is up +50%
- Daily nightly news Noticiero Telemundo is up +28%
- Daily sports entertainment late night show Titulares y Mas is up +6%
- Telemundo’s World Cup shoulder programming delivered significantly above respective prior four-week daypart averages:
- Un Nuevo Dia Copa Mundial I, with a morning/12:30pm start time: +478% (555,000 vs. 96,000)
- Un Nuevo Dia Copa Mundial II, with an afternoon start time: +462% (602,000 vs. 107,000)
- Hoy Copa Mundial I, with morning start time: +269% (185,000 vs. 50,000)
- Hoy Copa Mundial II, with an afternoon start time: +378% (660,000 vs. 138,000)
Sources: Nielsen, L+SD, fast national ratings 7/14/18-7/15/18; fast cume 6/14/18-7/15/18 based on 6 minute qualifier; Adobe Analytics.
Nielsen Live+SD Ratings – Telemundo Game Program averages vs competition time period; ranks based on impressions. TLMD vs FOX advantage based on ratings. SLTV Includes TEL, UNI, UMA, AZA, ETV; Overall also includes ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, and FS1.
Media Contact: Eva Mejicanos
firstname.lastname@example.org | M: 305.799.5310