FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, February 27th, 2017
SEASON 7 OF FEHERTY KICKS OFF WITH WORLD GOLF HALL OF FAMER PHIL MICKELSON: PART I OF TWO-PART INTERVIEW PREMIERES MONDAY, MARCH 6 AT 9 P.M. ET
ORLANDO, Fla. (Feb. 27, 2017) – World Golf Hall of Fame member and five-time major champion Phil Mickelson will join Emmy-nominated television personality David Feherty next Monday, March 6 at 9 p.m. ET on the season premiere of Feherty. Part I of a two-part interview with Mickelson, the premiere will kick off the seventh season of the original series, which will celebrate the 100th episode milestone in 2017 and welcome Farmers Insurance® as the show’s presenting sponsor.
A 42-time PGA TOUR winner, Mickelson has built a career around his flair for the dramatic and an aggressive playing style, with the sum of countless signature moments elevating him into one of the most beloved fan-favorites in the history of the sport. Filmed at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar in San Diego, Mickelson discusses a wide range of topics with Feherty, including:
- Winning his first Masters in 2004, and why his 2010 Masters victory was the first time he ever cried after winning a golf tournament.
- Justifying his second shot on the 13th hole at Augusta National from the pine straw in his final round of the same 2010 Masters, and explaining how it was a calculated “percentage play,” accounting for the least margin of error.
- The outpouring of emotional support his family received from fans and the golf community when both his wife Amy and mother Mary were diagnosed with breast cancer just six weeks apart in 2009.
- Mickelson’s relationship with Tiger Woods, including over the last few years working together to help improve the United States’ Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup teams, and his overall appreciation for Woods’ contributions to the sport.
- A comical exchange between Mickelson and David Toms from the 2002 Ryder Cup, where the two were paired together in foursomes at the Belfry.
Upcoming Guests on Feherty
Part II of Feherty’s interview with Mickelson will premiere the following Monday, March 13 at 9 p.m. ET on Golf Channel. Other upcoming guests include:
- S. Ryder Cup hero and 5-time PGA TOUR winner, Patrick Reed (Monday, March 20)
- Former United States Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice (Monday, March 27)
- Golden Globe and Academy Award-winning actor, Matthew McConaughey
Record viewership for Feherty in 2016
Season six of Feherty last year earned the highest “average viewers per minute” on both a Live+Same Day, and Live plus 3-day DVR playback basis since the series initially premiered in 2011. The two-part 2016 season premiere of the series featuring Jordan Spieth became the second and third most-watched Feherty premiere episodes on record (2011-2016) behind only the original series premiere the Monday following the U.S. Open in June 2011. Part II of Spieth’s interview also became the most-watched premiere of any Golf Channel original production since Arnie on Masters Sunday in April 2014.
Feherty is coming off a banner year in 2016, highlighted by sitting down with now four U.S. Presidents: Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, and Donald Trump; serving as an NBC Olympic correspondent in Rio; appearing on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon; being profiled on the Emmy award-winning HBO original series, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel; and playing a key role in NBC Sports’ unprecedented 12-week stretch of premier golf events beginning with The Open and concluding with the Ryder Cup.
Described as “golf’s iconoclast,” by Rolling Stone, and “a cross between Oprah Winfrey and Johnny Carson” by The New York Times, Feherty has made a name for himself not only through his self-titled Golf Channel talk show, but as one of the most irrepressible personalities calling golf over the past two decades. Beyond golf, Feherty continues to capture new and broader audiences with his wit and self-deprecating nature. A native of Northern Ireland and a former professional golfer who claimed 10 worldwide victories and a spot on the 1991 European Ryder Cup team, Feherty is now a proud American citizen who has risen above a history of alcoholism and addiction to become an Emmy-nominated television host, New York Times best-selling author and comedic relief for thousands of men and women in uniform.
-NBC Sports Group-