FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2016
BYTES: YAHOO SPORTS – NBC SPORTS NETWORK DIGITAL ALLIANCE DELIVERS 5.2 BILLION MINUTES IN OCTOBER
NBC SPORTS DIGITAL “BYTES”
November 23, 2016 – Vol. 96
NBC Sports Digital “Bytes” is a collection of highlights, information and metrics for NBC Sports Digital properties. Previous editions can be found on NBCSportsGroupPressbox.com.
Yahoo Sports – NBC Sports Network Ranks Second Among Sports Site In Total Minutes And Average Minute Audience In October
The start of the 2016-17 NHL season, and continuing NFL, NASCAR, and Premier League coverage contributed to the Yahoo Sports – NBC Sports Network delivering 5.2 billion minutes and an Average Minute Audience (AMA) of 115,700 in October, ranking No. 2 across the Sports category in both metrics. The digital alliance has ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the advertiser-coveted minutes category for 15 consecutive months. The total minutes and AMA were each up 84% vs. the third-place company.
The Yahoo Sports – NBC Sports Network also ranked second for the most affluent users ($95,656) among sports site in October, the eighth consecutive month that the alliance has ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the category.
NBC Sports Group reached several additional milestones for its properties in October:
- The Dallas Cowboys’ 23-23 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on October 30 set a live stream record for a Sunday NBC game (excluding Super Bowls) with 933,000 unique users, up 84% vs. Week 8 in 2015 (Green Bay-Denver). In addition, Eagles-Cowboys delivered 39 million minutes to rank as NBC Sports Digital’s second-best Sunday NBC game ever (excluding Super Bowls).
- Liverpool v. Manchester United on October 17, a 0-0 draw between the two rivals, ranks as NBC Sports Group’s most-streamed match ever. The match, played on a Monday, delivered 10.3 million minutes, up 23% from the previous record-holder (Chelsea v. Tottenham, 8.4 million minutes, 5/2/16).
- The live stream of NHL season opener on Wednesday, October 12, between the St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks, delivered 3.6 million live minutes to rank as the second-best NHL regular-season game ever, behind only last year’s season opener (Rangers vs. Blackhawks, 3.7 million, 10/7/15).
- The Ryder Cup, which ended on October 2, was the second-most streamed NBC/Golf Channel golf event on record with 35.1 million minutes and 487,000 unique users. Golf Channel’s Day 1coverage of the Ryder Cup on Friday, September 30, was the most-streamed day of golf on record in both minutes (18.4 million) and uniques (280,000).
- The NBC Sports app and the NBC Sports Scores app reached a combined 27 million all-time downloads in October.
–NBC SPORTS DIGITAL–