FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, October 10th, 2016
ROUND OF 16 SET FOR 2016 WORLD LONG DRIVE CHAMPIONSHIP, AIRING LIVE TUESDAY AT 8 P.M. ET IN PRIMETIME UNDER THE LIGHTS ON GOLF CHANNEL
World Long Drive Championship Finals Airing at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday Night
Remaining Field Includes Three Former World Long Drive Champions Competing for $260,000 Purse at WinStar World Casino and Resort
THACKERVILLE, Okla. (Oct. 10, 2016) – The field is set for the remaining 16 competitors at the 2016 World Long Drive Championship, with live coverage airing on back-to-back nights in primetime and under the lights on Golf Channel, Tuesday-Wednesday (Oct. 11-12) at 8 p.m. ET from WinStar World Casino and Resort. Advancing earlier today from the round of 32 in a best-of-three sets, head-to-head match play bracket format, the 16 players include three No. 1 seeds, three former World Long Drive Champions – including two-time winner (2013, 2015) and defending champion Tim Burke – and seven competitors returning from the round of 16 at the 2015 competition.
Round of 16 Matchups (8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Oct. 11):
(1) Will Hogue (Colliervielle, Tenn.) vs. (4) Paul Howell (Wilson, N.C.)
(3) Maurice Allen (Pine Hills, Fla.) vs. (7) Justin Moose (Columbia, S.C.)
(1) Tim Burke (Orlando, Fla., 2013 & ’15 champion) vs. (4) Justin James (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.)
(2) Trent Scruggs (Hickory, N.C.) vs. (3) Jeff Flagg (Chicago, Ill., 2014 champion)
(13) Steve Monroe (Clearwater, Fla.) vs. (16) Mitch Dobbyn (Arlington, Texas)
(2) Joe Miller (United Kingdom, 2010 champion) vs. (6) Glenn Wilson Jr. (Houston, Texas)
(1) Tommy Hug (Orange County, Calif.) vs. (5) Justin Young (Mayberry, N.C.)
(6) Jason Eslinger (Forney, Texas) vs. (7)Ryan Steenberg (Rochester, N.Y.)
FORMAT: During Golf Channel’s coverage of Tuesday’s round of 16 and Wednesday’s quarterfinals, semifinals and finals, players will have three minutes to hit eight balls in their head-to-head match, with the player hitting the furthest ball in each match advancing to the next round.
The field will compete for a $260,000 purse, with $125,000 awarded to the eventual champion. Additionally, the winner will receive a customized Championship belt, built by renowned Orange County Choppers, featured on the popular reality TV show on Discovery, American Chopper.
BROADCAST TEAM: Golf Channel’s Bob Papa will conduct play-by-play, while Michael Breed – host of The Golf Fix – will serve as analyst, and Jerry Foltz will handle interviews. Art Sellinger – long-drive pioneer, two-time national long-drive champion and founder of the Long Drivers of America – also will be on hand to provide an analyst perspective and offer additional background on the competitors.
COVERAGE: Golf Channel will feature back-to-back nights of live coverage of the 2016 World Long Drive Championship, airing in primetime on Tuesday-Wednesday from 8-10 p.m. ET. Prior to and immediately following on-site event coverage each night, the network will dedicate live, 60-minute Golf Central shows, previewing and recapping the matchups, which will include analysis of the competition and interviews with competitors in the field.
Round of 32 Results:
(1) Will Hogue def. (9) Nick Kiefer: 2-1
(4) Paul Howell def. (12) Curtis Urniezius: 2-0
(7) Justin Moose def. (2) Jeff Crittenden: 2-1
(3) Maurice Allen def. (6) Matt Hanger: 2-0
(1) Tim Burke def. (9) Scott Beaven: 2-0
(4) Justin James def. (5) Jeff Gavin: 2-0
(2) Trent Scruggs def. (7) Emil Rosberg: 2-0
(3) Jeff Flagg def. (6) Patrick Hopper: 2-0
(16) Mitch Dobbyn def. (8) Troy Teal: 2-1
(13) Steve Monroe def. (5) Ben Tuaone: 2-0
(2) Joe Miller def. (7) Dan McIntosh: 2-1
(6) Glenn Wilson Jr. def. (3) Ryan Winther: 2-1
(1) Tommy Hug def. (9) Carl Wolter: 2-1
(5) Justin Young def. (4) Landon Gentry: 2-1
(7) Ryan Steenberg def. (18) Heath Johnson: 2-0
(6) Jason Eslinger def. (14) Rob Tiettmeyer: 2-1
For full results, visit HERE.
ABOUT GOLF CHANNEL
Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. Serving the most-affluent audience in all of television, Golf Channel – co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and now part of NBC Sports Group – is available in more than 200 million homes in 84 countries and 13 languages around the world. Exclusive partnerships with the world’s top tours allow Golf Channel to feature more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, as well as a programming schedule distinguished by golf’s highest-quality news, instruction and original content. Watch Golf Channel anywhere: On Demand, online or across mobile and connected TVs through Golf Live Extra. Golf Channel’s digital platforms, headed by GolfChannel.com, are the leading golf destinations on the Internet, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf. In addition, Golf Channel connects the world to golf through a wide array of digital and lifestyle services including Golf Channel Mobile, a comprehensive app covering golf’s latest headlines, scores and analysis; GolfNow, the world’s largest online tee time booking platform and golf course technology partner, which includes the GolfNow Mobile App, featuring on-course GPS tracking, in-round scoring and game tracking; GolfAdvisor.com, a golf course ratings and review portal for golfers, by golfers; a North American network of Golf Channel Academy instructional facilities; and Golf Channel Am Tour, the world’s largest amateur golf tour.
-NBC Sports Group-