FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, September 14th, 2016
NBC SPORTS’ NASCAR COVERAGE GENERATING STRONG DIGITAL CONSUMPTION GAINS
Unique Users and Live Minutes up 45% and 77% vs. 2015 Season
NBC Sports Posts Year-Over-Year Growth for all 10 of its NASCAR Sprint Cup Races in Minutes Streamed
STAMFORD, Conn. – September 14, 2016 – As the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup season races into its first playoff event this weekend in Chicago, NBC Sports Digital is lapping last year’s consumption figures in all key metrics.
Season to date, consumption of NASCAR content on NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, and connected devices have garnered nearly 59 million minutes and over 450,000 unique users, increases of 77% and 45%, respectively, compared to the same period last season. Connected device usage is also growing among NASCAR on NBC digital streamers, with 103,000 unique users, more than double the number of connected TV users at the same point in the 2015 season on NBC. In addition, connected TV users have streamed 13.5 million live minutes, up 87% versus the same period last season.
“Working closely with our partners at NASCAR Digital Media, we are encouraged to see that an increasing number of NASCAR fans are finding and enjoying our digital coverage,” said Troy Ewanchyna, VP, Digital, NBCSports.com. “We will continue to super serve NASCAR fans with state-of-the-art, digital trackside coverage along with a vast collection of video highlights.”
Other 2016 digital consumption highlights include:
- Through 10 races of NBC Sports’ Sprint Cup season, NBC Sports Digital has seen year-over-year growth in live minutes streamed for every race, and growth in unique users in eight races.
- Live streaming of the Sprint Cup race from Pocono Raceway via NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app stands as the best race ever on NBC Sports’ live streaming platforms with 6.7 million live minutes, up 173% vs. the same event in 2015.
- The Sprint Cup race from Bristol Motor Speedway delivered a regular season record 72,000 unique users, more than doubling unique users vs. the 2015 Bristol race.
NASCAR Digital Media has also seen significant year-over-year growth:
- Weekly unique users for NASCAR.com have been up for eight consecutive weeks, starting with New Hampshire, an average increase of 31% each week.
- Visits to the NASCAR Mobile App are up 34% season-to-date year over year.
All of NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR coverage is available to stream on NBCSports.com and via the NBC Sports app. Powered by Playmaker Media, the NBC Sports app is available on Apple iOS, Android and select Samsung devices, as well as on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Roku.
–NBC SPORTS GROUP–