FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, August 20th, 2013
U.S. RECORD 3.4 MILLION TUNE IN TO NBC SPORTS GROUP’S OPENING WEEKEND OF PREMIER LEAGUE COVERAGE
NBC Telecast of Swansea City-Manchester United Most-Watched Match in U.S. History for Premier League Opener
Average Viewership for NBCSN Matches Tops Last Year’s Opening Weekend Cable Matches by 43%
Fans streamed more than 5.7 million minutes via NBC Sports Live Extra
STAMFORD, Conn. – August 20, 2013 – NBC Sports Group posted record-setting numbers this past weekend as it kicked off exclusive coverage of the Premier League on NBC, NBCSN, mun2, the Premier League Extra Time bonus TV package and the NBC Sports Live Extra live streaming product.
More than 3.4 million people tuned in to NBC Sports Group’s television coverage on Saturday and Sunday – the most ever for an opening Premier League weekend in the U.S. – featuring seven telecasts on three networks (one on NBC, four on NBC Sports Network, and two on mun2). The five English-language games on NBC and NBCSN drew a total of 3.2 million viewers – up 52% from the 2.1 million total for the five games on ESPN and Fox Soccer last year. (Source: Nielsen Media Research, NTI Live+Same Day data. NBC telecast based on Fast National data. Reach based on NBCSN and mun2 program data with NBC Affiliate live feed time period data.)
Additional milestones from NBC Sports Group’s opening weekend Premier League coverage:
- Most-Watched Opening Weekend Match: Saturday’s NBC telecast of Swansea City-Manchester United drew 792,000 average viewers – marking the most-watched Premier League opening weekend match in U.S. history.
- Highest Opening Weekend Average Viewership: The five games on NBC and NBCSN averaged 443,000 viewers — +78% above the ESPN/Fox Soccer average for five games on Opening Weekend last year (249,000 average viewers).
- Best Opening Weekend on Cable in U.S. History: For games on cable, the four weekend matches on NBCSN averaged 356,000 viewers – ranking as the most-watched Premier League opening weekend on cable in the U.S., and a +43% increase from last year’s 249,000 average viewership for the five games on ESPN and Fox Soccer.
- More than 5.7 Million Minutes Streamed: Fans streamed more than 5.7 million minutes of Premier League action via NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices and tablets. This is the first time ever that all Premier League games are available at no extra cost (to fans with NBC Sports Network) via live stream.
- Debut of Bonus TV Package: This the first time that all Premier League games are available on television on the networks of NBCUniversal and the Premier League Extra Time bonus television package. Extra Time is available at no extra cost to fans who receive NBC Sports Network through their cable/satellite/telco providers.
NBC Sports Group’s exclusive Premier League coverage continues tomorrow (Wednesday, Aug. 21) at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN with Premier League Live, followed by Chelsea-Aston Villa at 3 p.m. ET.
NBC Sports Group presents the most ambitious, extensive and comprehensive coverage of the Premier League available anywhere in the world. All 380 Premier League matches will be made available live in the United States on the networks of NBCUniversal, on the Premier League Extra Time bonus TV package, and streamed live on NBC Sports Live Extra — NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktop, mobile and tablets. In total, NBC Sports Group will present more than 1,600 total hours of Premier League programming.
– NBC Sports Group –